How Best to Use a storage heater in bedroom

Options
Hiya

Our house is a 2 bed semi with living room stairs and landing all open for which 2 storage heaters in living room and 1 on landing. We dont use as it is pretty much impossible to heat the room, we layer up and use an electric heater sometimes to sit in front of.

Our little girls room is now dropping cold at night and I need to figure the best way to heat it at night which isnt gonna cost a bomb. To have all heaters on last winter we figured it was costing us approx £5 per night extra which we just.cant afford.

So tonight she is gonna spend the night in with us again. I am gonna put ger heater on say a 4 input and the output to min as she wont be in there tonight but then tomorrow night I want the room to be warm for her so I assume I can use the heat stored tonight but if I then again tomorrow night set the input to start storing again but this time the output will be releasing so am I wasting more electric and defeating the object of the heater? Is it not cheaper for me to buy a mini radiator and stick that on each night. Lol.

The storage heater is a 1.7kw which stores for 7 hours per night.

TIA
July 2013 wins: Lilac Skoot, Night out for 2 at Nandos & Cineworld
Best wins so far: £500, GHD styler, Tassimo T40 Machine

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2013 at 9:28PM
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve, a warmer room during the night or the following morning?

If it is the night, a storage heater not the best option, particularly if the room isn't being used the following day.
  • hulahoop09
    Options
    Thats my point, sorry wasnt clear. We need it warm at night. The following day it is onky use d for a nap whereas at night it will be used for 8-12 hours.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You would be better off with a cheap convection heater with a thermostat (linky) or, for a bit more, an oil filled radiator. The storage heater is wasting you money.

The cheapest option might be more bedclothes though. Has your daughter complained of being cold?

We haven't turned our central heating on yet and use a convection heater in the bedroom if we need a bit of instant warmth in the morning.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't need to heat a room when sleeping that's what bedclothes are for

Put the heating on for an hour before bed and an hour before waking. That should bring the temp of the room to a dress able level

From what I know about storage heaters is they store at night and leach out during the day. If I'm right then the room shouldn't get so cold that an oil filled electric rad wouldn't warm it within an hour before bed time

As a child we never had any heating in the bedrooms. Warm nightclothes and bedding were the norm. Even now I don't heat the bedroom, just add another layer to the bedding and the grandson sleeps very well in his bed in the same room
  • hulahoop09
    Options
    Thanks. Shes only 22 months old and has only started.sleeping.in ger own room in tge past few months. She doesnt soeak enough to tell me shes cold and she kicks bed sheets off. I do put her pjs and socks on etc but our house gets so cold we have had ice on the windows previous winters and one of our window panes cracked. Lol. Obviously when she is older I can layer her up more and she can wear dressing gowns to bed and have hot water bottles etc if needs be but atm she is too young for that.
  • hulahoop09
    Options
    Our bedroom has a wall mounted convection which is fab and once I accidentally left on for 12 hours and it didnt eat electric. Lol.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hulahoop09 wrote: »
    Thanks. Shes only 22 months old and has only started.sleeping.in ger own room in tge past few months. She doesnt soeak enough to tell me shes cold and she kicks bed sheets off. I do put her pjs and socks on etc but our house gets so cold we have had ice on the windows previous winters and one of our window panes cracked. Lol. Obviously when she is older I can layer her up more and she can wear dressing gowns to bed and have hot water bottles etc if needs be but atm she is too young for that.

I know she's young but they tend to kick the bed covers off because they are hot- same as us

My grandson has been in our room since he's been born and he's not come to any harm. I just make sure the bottom of his bedding is tucked in and the top layers ( duvet and two fleeces in the winter ) are loose enough that even if he does kick himself out of the coverings he 'finds' something loose enough to snuggle into

He's 6 now and still alive

Bedrooms today are over heated. There really is no need to keep the heating on all night. Get a cheap thermometer and take the room temp. Anything below 15 then I might thinking about a timer to put a rad on and off during the night. But seriously a warm bed in a cool room is much healthier for a child and a good nights sleep
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    I can just about see having a bit of heating on at night in a cold January but it's only mid September at the moment!

Don't you have a window open anyway?
  • hulahoop09
    Options
    Im planning ahead because of how cold it gets. Lol. I am one who wears summer clothes in winter but even I ind our house too cold in winter to the point I have been divering. Lol.

She kicks the blankets off because she doesnt like them on her, never has. I hate our storage heaters but I refuse to fork out for central heating and I know too many who have central heating and their children are constantly ill. I just want to take the edge off our chilly house to try and avoid her hands and feet and nose being like ice when she wakes. Lol.

Ive been looking at a small oil radiator from argos for 20, many saying only suitable for porches etc but I am wondering of to try that at least, can these be plugged into one of the timer plugs?

Thanks again for all the replies.
  • hulahoop09
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    I can just about see having a bit of heating on at night in a cold January but it's only mid September at the moment!

Don't you have a window open anyway?

Sorry, window open, am I missing something? Lol.

Btw I am just planning ahead, thats how I am and what I do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family