Best way to sell a website?

Options
Hi

I have a cashback site that is developed and ready to go, but I cannot commit to run it at the moment. So I am looking to sell. What is the best way to do this and get a decent price. I at least want to recoup the dev costs.

Comments

• imoneyop
    imoneyop Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    As I see it your main problem is that the site hasn't 'traded' and therefore has no members, so if I was considering buying it I would be asking myself "why buy this site when I could get a east European developer to make a new one from scratch for £X".

So you need to consider what benefits there are for someone to buy yours rather than get one developed from scratch. Does it have a good domain name? Are there some unique features?
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

It is developed by the guy who put together cashbag and some other well known cashback sites, it is featured packed and bug free and has a good domain name.
  • barrymung
    barrymung Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    So..what does it offer that potential purchasers couldn't do themselves?

Does it have a decent pagerank? Does it have a decent number of members? Can you demonstrate a decent amount of traffic?

Could you perhaps run a competition on the site, requiring people to register? That way you could offer the website for sale "With 200 registered members" or whatever?

Work on pagerank: Backlinks, backlinks, backlinks!

None of this need cost you much money. I ran a comp for a few months on one of my sites a year or two ago offering a cheapy MP3 player as a prize. In total I gained over 400 new members..
  • save-a-lot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The site offers a well developed bug free system that is ready to roll, all I am asking for is to sell it to recoup the dev costs... not really to make a profit. Essentially, anyone purchasing would have an instant site to fill with their own content... saves spending a few months of development - it could be up and running fully in 2 weeks if someone with the time took it on.

Anyway, back to the question... what methods are good to sell my site, there are lots of places that will take your money to sell a domain, or developed site, but these are rather hit and miss
  • imoneyop
    imoneyop Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    A number of people I know have said that sedo (https://www.sedo.com) is a good place to sell.

Never used them myself, but they've been going a while so they can't be that bad.
  • Torby
    Torby Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    I think sedo are more to do with selling the "name", although they do have sites with content...you could do a lot worse than advertise on Ebay, I have seen sites for sale there....worth a try
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• chriswuk_2
    chriswuk_2 Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    How much are you looking to recoup ?
  • adypem
    adypem Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    save-a-lot wrote: »
    The site offers a well developed bug free system that is ready to roll, all I am asking for is to sell it to recoup the dev costs... not really to make a profit. Essentially, anyone purchasing would have an instant site to fill with their own content... saves spending a few months of development - it could be up and running fully in 2 weeks if someone with the time took it on.

Anyway, back to the question... what methods are good to sell my site, there are lots of places that will take your money to sell a domain, or developed site, but these are rather hit and miss

You won't know if its bug free until you have members, traffic, etc...

You have to make it different to what is already out there ? What does your site offer that others don't ?
  • save-a-lot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    adypem wrote: »
    You won't know if its bug free until you have members, traffic, etc...

You have to make it different to what is already out there ? What does your site offer that others don't ?

I am asking only about selling the site, it is irrelevant if it offers a unique selling point - the question I am asking is what/where is the best place to sell a site. I do know it is bug free also... it has been extensively tested and this is not my first website so I have a pretty good idea of what to look for and how to test.
  • richt71
    richt71 Posts: 946 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.digitalpoint.com is good but best prices are at http://www.sitepoint.com but there's a submission fee (sliding scale dependant on section and asking price).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure