'Unfair' Exclusion ?

Options

Comments

• impy78
    impy78 Posts: 3,157 Forumite
    Options
    mrbluejay wrote: »

The fact that the bag was in the field for 36 hours is a big assumption, I only realised the bag was missing after this time.

What I meant was that it was out of your possession for 36 hours before you realised you had left it in a field.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mrbluejay
    mrbluejay Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

No, i'm talking about my colleagues who were stood with me, not the ones playing.
  • mrbluejay
    Options
    Hi All,

Last week I was told that a claims assessor would contact me early this week. Still has not happened, as this complaint has already been escalated to the ombudsman, should I go back to them and tell them - feels like i'm getting nowhere fast.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you gone through the insurance companies complaints procedure?
  • mrbluejay
    Options
    Yes I have registered the complaint, I contacted the FSA/Ombudsman at the same time.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The ombudsman will tell you to exhaust the complaints procedure of the insurance company first. Which I believe is a max of 8 weeks.
  • mrbluejay
    Options
    Thanks cloud,

Still no contact from Royal & Sun Alliance though. To be honest thats what im so annoyed about, my claim was dismissed within the hour. Now, even with the ombudsman involved, they appear not to be treating it with any urgency. No contact at all this week, despite promises to call early part of the week. Does anyone think if this poor service will influence the decision ?
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments...

While I obviously want the claim to be accepted and cannot therefore be objective, there are some comments here which demonstrate a lack of understanding as to what happened. The bag was by my side at the beginning and then no more than 15ft away. There were only 4 other spectators, all of whom I work with, so security was not a prime concern, never the less I did keep a sporadic eye on my bag.

FoxyUK - Why would the bag be left in the car ? I left the car with the intention of getting changed and playing, however the team was doing OK so I watched the game. The same issue with the bag going into the locker, had I got changed this would be reasonable.

The fact that the bag was in the field for 36 hours is a big assumption, I only realised the bag was missing after this time. As some other posters say, surely a loss is still a loss even i you know/think where you have lost the item.

I have contacted the regulators and received an initial response from both Paymentshield and Royal & Sun Alliance (Underwriter).

We have never claimed on our contents or building insurance (6 Years).

A concern is the speed within which the claim was rejected - literally under an hour, is this just a case of the insurer trying it on or is this a indicator of how strong they feel their position is ?
    This has no bearing whatsoever on your current claim

Your insurers has an obligation to advise you of any repudiation at the earliest opportunity

No and No

To be brutally honest you are not on solid ground with this claim at all, you have failed to show due care over your own property and your insurer is not responsible for this you are.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks cloud,

Still no contact from Royal & Sun Alliance though. To be honest thats what im so annoyed about, my claim was dismissed within the hour. Now, even with the ombudsman involved, they appear not to be treating it with any urgency. No contact at all this week, despite promises to call early part of the week. Does anyone think if this poor service will influence the decision ?

Originally you were concerned they had made too hasty a decision, now they are taking time to review the situation you are not happy with that, you cannot have it both ways.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So the bag was at times 15ft away from OP. Think how close a pickpocket gets to you and you still don't notice a thing.

IMO it might as well be 15 miles I don't think the insurance company will pay out and I don't think the insurance ombudsman will find in his favour either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure