2»

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Thanks for the skip info Rawl.

You're kidding? Rawl has made 2 posts, both recommending a skip company. Obvious shill....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I paid £220 for 2 men to tidy my garden up. Took them 1.5 hours to 3 man-hours of work.

They ripped me off because after closer inspection after they left, they didn't cut much back at all and only cleared maybe 2 dumpy bags of waste.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to update - garden now done. I can finally see daylight! They cleared a hell of a lot of trees and bushes. Can't fault them at all. Very happy! If anyone is interested they are called Fruitful Oaks. Can recommend them. Mr SA will be amazed when he finally comes out of hospital.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    My OH has been ill for the past 6 months and unable to do our garden. Although I'm able to keep on top of weeding and lawns the shrubs and trees have gone haywire. Have had quote from local company for severe cut back of trees, shrubs and hedges for 100ft long garden - 2 men 2 days plus skip £495. They will be taking several feet off width and height. OH and his brother think this is fair price - £100 per man per day for a lot of work - but his sister thinks it's too high.

Are they registered as Self employed? Do they pay liability insurance? Do they have to come around in the evening to quote in thier own time? Do they have business overheads, tools, equipment, a pickup truck? Are they professionals, with a good track record, and references from happy locals ?

What planet does she live on ? Assuming that they worked 5 days a week for 52 weeks a year they would turnover £26K each. Take off normal business costs, and a few days holiday, and pension, and the occassional dry spell, they might not be taking home £18K.

Would your sister get out of bed for £18K ? I wouldn't.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are they registered as Self employed? Do they pay liability insurance? Do they have to come around in the evening to quote in thier own time? Do they have business overheads, tools, equipment, a pickup truck? Are they professionals, with a good track record, and references from happy locals ?

What planet does she live on ? Assuming that they worked 5 days a week for 52 weeks a year they would turnover £26K each. Take off normal business costs, and a few days holiday, and pension, and the occassional dry spell, they might not be taking home £18K.

Would your sister get out of bed for £18K ? I wouldn't.

What planet are you on? Plenty people get out of bed for less.
  • SternMusik
    Options
    I paid about £180 for three men to tidy my garden in one day (similar tasks to yours, smaller garden). I paid a bit extra to have all the rubbish taken away. This seems like a fair price to me.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What planet are you on? Plenty people get out of bed for less.

I am one of those people unfortunately!
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure