Garden tidy up quote

Options
My OH has been ill for the past 6 months and unable to do our garden. Although I'm able to keep on top of weeding and lawns the shrubs and trees have gone haywire. Have had quote from local company for severe cut back of trees, shrubs and hedges for 100ft long garden - 2 men 2 days plus skip £495. They will be taking several feet off width and height. OH and his brother think this is fair price - £100 per man per day for a lot of work - but his sister thinks it's too high.
Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £

Comments

• Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    My OH has been ill for the past 6 months and unable to do our garden. Although I'm able to keep on top of weeding and lawns the shrubs and trees have gone haywire. Have had quote from local company for severe cut back of trees, shrubs and hedges for 100ft long garden - 2 men 2 days plus skip £495. They will be taking several feet off width and height. OH and his brother think this is fair price - £100 per man per day for a lot of work - but his sister thinks it's too high.

We pay a local handyman/gardener £80 for about 4 hours work , for similar tasks

I would say , if they come recommnded and/or you know they are good , then it`s a fair price
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I'd suggest it is not too unreasonable. I'd be surprised if they could get a skip for £95! When we got one for some work last year it was a mid-sized skip and was well over £200.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Sounds quite reasonable to me........and I agree about the cost of a skip - we've had cause to hire loads over the last couple of years and the cheapest (for a small to mid-size) was £225 :o
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • I pay £150 for a big skip that would be more than ample for this type of job. So 95 is about right imo.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are they working cash in hand? Do they have their own insurance? A neighbour of ours faced a legal wrangle with a man he employed to cut down a tree when he fell and suffered a severe injury. He didn't have his own insurance so was/is trying to claim on the householders insurance.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • evoke
    evoke Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be careful of any major tree work. It's very expensive and usually requires a tree surgeon who knows what he's doing and has the required public liability insurance.

The quote sounds very reasonable to me, particularly if a skip is required and any type of lift to reach the tree branches is required.

I really would check what they are going to do with the trees and whether they are competent.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I pay £150 for a big skip that would be more than ample for this type of job. So 95 is about right imo.

I guess it depends where in the world we are talking as we rang round pretty much every skip provider within 10 miles and around £200 was the best they would do.

I guess if you have a trade account and hire a lot of skips the price would come down considerably.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,357 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all for your input it is very much appreciated.
    £95 is for a small skip at trade price. I'm not paying cash. I would imagine they must be shredding the branches/leaves first as can't see it all fitting in a small skip otherwise. The company have good reviews on their website and what I like about them is that they employ unemployed people while they get back on their feet who then either stay or go on to something else. They won't be doing any major tree work - there is one very large tree which they say they will cut back as much as they can but if I need anything off the height it is a tree surgeon's job. Have decided to go ahead with the work as SIL has asked gardener she knows and he reckons quote is good - he could have done it slightly cheaper but is up to the neck in work so couldn't do it.

Looking forward to the end result and it will be lovely for OH to see when he comes out of hospital as he's currently having a stem cell transplant and is due out a couple of days after the work will be completed.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Makes you wonder if SIL would be happy to do same days work for £100, reckon she'd soon decide it definitely wasn't priced too high!
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,357 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the skip info Rawl. And cattie - pig's might fly! SIL and BIL did their next door neighbours garden for her but never offered to help with ours!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport