🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

why are some people entitled to a council house but others are not?

Options
Hi everyone,
just wanted to have an ask around about something that I have wondered about.
I do realise that some people are in a bigger need than others for a council house but why is it that some people who seem to be quite comfortable e,g both work are entitled to a house where as someone who e.g is on a low income and has a baby is turned away? how does it work? I was talking to a woman the other day who asked if my house was a council property (its not) and she said she used to own a house down the road but couldn't keep up the payments and then want on to say but never mind because I have a lovely big 3 bed council property now. Please don't have a go I am just genuinely interested in how it works.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is always based on need, and available property, the lady presumably got into difficulties, had her house repossessed, she may have spent months in a hostel,

Simple as that
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • mummyoftwomonkeys
    Options
    ok here is another e.g my old boss worked full time, her partner not married but been together for 20+years also works full time as a builder, she lived in the same council house for years but a couple of years ago the houses were knocked down and they built some 2 bed houses in the place of them, she was offered another property but they said would you consider a smaller one, she said no because I have grand children who come to stay, her partner OWNS a flat that his mum used to live in, and a friend of hers came into the shop when I was there with her and said to her why don't you move in there and she said no cos it doesn't have a garden.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    ok here is another e.g my old boss worked full time, her partner not married but been together for 20+years also works full time as a builder, she lived in the same council house for years but a couple of years ago the houses were knocked down and they built some 2 bed houses in the place of them, she was offered another property but they said would you consider a smaller one, she said no because I have grand children who come to stay, her partner OWNS a flat that his mum used to live in, and a friend of hers came into the shop when I was there with her and said to her why don't you move in there and she said no cos it doesn't have a garden.

The council can't force you to go and live with someone even if you are in a relationship with them. By using the word "partner" I assume that they're not married and so their separate living statuses are of no concern.
  • mummyroysof3
    Options
    What I have a problem with is people getting a council house they need but being able to stay in it in future years when they are better off financially or it's too big as the children all left home.
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • Imp
    Imp Posts: 1,035 Forumite
    Options
    What I have a problem with is people getting a council house they need but being able to stay in it in future years when they are better off financially or it's too big as the children all left home.

So what you are saying is that people should be housed when they are in need, but when they pull themselves up and are no longer needy, they should be evicted from their home and community?

If you are going to remove people from their homes as a reward for getting a job/being promoted/successfully running their own business, then why would they make an effort to do these things?
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    Well some people like me got a council house because I took a flat in a very hard to let area that at that time was 25 per cent full. Some people who are living in flats or houses that are too big for their needs will be paying bedroom tax. Last year in my area there were 85 1 bedroom flats or houses and 80 of them had been allocated. Mostly to older people. It's not that simple for a lot of people to downsize.

I try not to concern myself with other people's living arrangements all I would say is that if you want to know what the allocation policy is in a certain area phone the council and ask them.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    People are offered social housing because they are deemed to be in need.

If somebody fulfills the criteria set by law, then that's all there is to it; nobody knows the true circumstances of other people's lives, all we see is what we see, and to make judgements based upon a quarter of the information that the local authority housing department have, is pointless.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    I was also working when I got my flat but wasn't earning a massive wage and couldn't afford a mortgage. I did however pay full rent and council tax for almost 15 years. I didn't have and still don't have a partner. My mum lives in an ex council house and some of her neighbours are well off but still rent.

Housing isn't just allocated to people on low incomes or benefits. I actually think if people want to work and still rent a council home, that's entirely up to them. People can also be made redundant at any time, so financial situations can change either for the good or bad at any given time.
  • pukkamum
    pukkamum Posts: 3,942 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in a council house even though dh works and earns a liveable wage, in fact most of my neighbours work too.
    There is no way we can buy privately and I refuse to line a greedy landlords pocket, I'll leave that to the government with housing benefit payments.
    There was a family down the road who got evicted from their council house, did they care?
    No, they were on benefits so got a lovely 4 bed house private house paid for by the government.
    One girl I knew scoffed when I suggested she should apply for a council house, why would I do that she said when I can live on a posh new build estate paid for by the government.
    Council housing round here is mainly filled with people who work that have no chance of buying.
    I don't get nearly enough credit for not being a violent psychopath.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 September 2013 at 4:26PM
    Options
    How do you know how people got their council houses OP?

Perhaps they've been on the waiting list for years, perhaps they became ill and had their home repossessed. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

If someone on a low income with a baby has family they can live with they won't be turned away but they won't be at the top of the list. No-one who is eligible is stopped from putting themselves on the waiting list, but to get a home you have to work at it, always be willing to accept anything and most of all be patient.

It think it's rather harsh to judge people for being eligible for council housing when you don't know their background. Your old boss for example, why should she give up a secure home that she's entitled to to go live with a man she's not married to?

The only point I do kind of agree with is people staying in a property that is too big for them. My inlaws have a huge 3 bedroom flat, their youngest child (my OH) moved out 16 years ago, a family would love that space, just like they did when their children were young. There's no need to remove them from their community, families in their street crammed into a one bedroom flat would be only to happy to swap, but they they have no intention of giving it up, as long as there are suitable homes in the same area I think they should have to swap.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport