Bathroom rip out & new install

Options
Hi,

I am having my bathroom 186cm x 168cm refurbished; removing old toliet, basin, bath and tiles and replacing with new.

Quoted £2500

This labour will include plumbing, plastering, electrics, tiling, ceiling cleanup and installing fixings.
I will have to supply toilet, bath, basin, tiles, taps/fixings and accessories separately.

Does this seem like a reasonable price?

Comments

• T4NK
    T4NK Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    No, sounds expensive to me if you are supplying the bathroom suite.

Rip out of existing - 1 day
    Replaster - 1 day and £20 materials
    Tiling and grouting - 4 days
    Re-install of like for like sanitaryware - 2 days and £60 materials
    Paint ceiling - 0.5 days and £20 materials
    Rewire of new light - 0.5 days and £35 materials

Probably about £2000 and I was generous with my estimates...
    BISH, BASH, BOSH!
    Start 22/09/13 : Debt Free 17/10/14 (Or sooner!)
    LLoyds CC: £1150/£1150 to go. - :wall:
    Lloyds Loan: £2675/£2000 to go. - :wall:
    Very: £150/£0 to go. BOSH!] - :dance:
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    vn108 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am having my bathroom 186cm x 168cm refurbished; removing old toliet, basin, bath and tiles and replacing with new.

Quoted £2500

This labour will include plumbing, plastering, electrics, tiling, ceiling cleanup and installing fixings.
    I will have to supply toilet, bath, basin, tiles, taps/fixings and accessories separately.

Does this seem like a reasonable price?
    Yes I would say its about right.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    Options
    T4NK wrote: »
    No, sounds expensive to me if you are supplying the bathroom suite.

Rip out of existing - 1 day
    Replaster - 1 day and £20 materials
    Tiling and grouting - 4 days
    Re-install of like for like sanitaryware - 2 days and £60 materials
    Paint ceiling - 0.5 days and £20 materials
    Rewire of new light - 0.5 days and £35 materials

Probably about £2000 and I was generous with my estimates...
    Yes its about ten elapsed days. Thats average. LoL at your materials guesstimates a complete ripout and start from scratch can easily dispose of £ 500 of general materials. His £ 2½k is in the ballpark.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • diywhynot
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Yes its about ten elapsed days. Thats average. LoL at your materials guesstimates a complete ripout and start from scratch can easily dispose of £ 500 of general materials. His £ 2½k is in the ballpark.

Cheers

I concur...sight unseen mind.:D
  • evoke
    evoke Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £2.5K doesn't sound unreasonable. Get everything in writing! And check who is expected to supply things like paint, tile edge trims, fancy basin waste traps, sealant, grout, tile adhesive, copper pipes, radiator valves, etc. The small details can really rack up the price and be an unwelcome expense halfway through the job.

Your quote appears to be labour only. I've had jobs with a labour-only quote but the tradesmen has supplied the screws and glue, etc as part of his labour cost. Other tradesmen kept it strictly labour only and I had to buy the nails and the screws and a drop of glue.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 September 2013 at 8:21AM
    Options
    We spend double this stripping a room right back , you pay for what you get.

£200 a day is reasonable, if not at the lower end
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • keystone
    edited 25 September 2013 at 8:22AM
    Options
    You do know that ad hominems are such a pathetic way of arguing your case don't you? Actually all they do is demonstrate that you know full well you are talking out of your fundamental but you just don't have the cojones to admit it. Yawn - boring! Oh and if you've got all these quals you've magnificently failed to demonstrate that you are able to put them to good use.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but your opinion deserves rebuttal if it fails to demonstrate that you, at least, understand the question. Guess what? You haven't even read the OP's post properly let alone mine.

May I remind you, soft lad, that it is you that is throwing the insults not just in your previous post but now in this one too. I suppose we might have to learn to put up with your keenly honed ability to use condescension though. There's always the Ignore button though.
  • keystone
    Options
    evoke wrote: »
    And check who is expected to supply things like paint, tile edge trims, fancy basin waste traps, sealant, grout, tile adhesive, copper pipes, radiator valves, etc.
    In my world that all comes as part of my element. I do agree that OP should check it though. A quote for the job is a quote for the job not a licence to print money afterwards.

Cheers
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    T4NK wrote: »
    yes I am a mechanical engineer with a HNC, HND, Degree in building services I also have accreditations in most aspects in mechanical engineering, so why not listen to a professional

& all this blowing your own flute & list of your paper certs has jack to do with working out the cost of re-furbing a bathroom, looking at your costings of materials it is quite clear you must have got your head stuck in one of your lathe's, KS does this kind of thing day in day out & therefore has a far better idea of costs than you ever will based on the very limited info the OP has provided.

feel free to reply if you want but i'm not as polite as some others
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • T4NK
    T4NK Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    It seems I have upset some of you, for this I apologise. I may have a assumed it would be a straight swap due to the size of the room if the door opens into the bathroom which it most likely does; this limits the position of of the bath.

Maybe coming from a commercial background has swayed my opinion of this, I employ sub contract labour for every job I run, the only sub contract labour I pay £200+ to are my team of welders, general tradesmen are employed at circa £150 per day. I also noticed we are from different parts of the country this will also have a major impact on costing as too will material discounts.

@southcoastrgi I used to be a pipefitter and I too used to do this type of thing on a daily basis. Part of my job description is project estimation, project management and project design, I was merely stating that I am too qualified in this field. Unfortunately using a lathe has nothing to do with my profession.

At the end of the day my opinion is it sounds expensive for the basic description the OP has given, maybe there is more to it than I think or less to than you think at-least the OP has a more comprehensive understanding of what he needs to arrange with the "tradesman" he is employing.

Just out of interest what is your trade? It may be useful for future reference. No hard feelings old chap?

T4NK
    BISH, BASH, BOSH!
    Start 22/09/13 : Debt Free 17/10/14 (Or sooner!)
    LLoyds CC: £1150/£1150 to go. - :wall:
    Lloyds Loan: £2675/£2000 to go. - :wall:
    Very: £150/£0 to go. BOSH!] - :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills