Fibre optic recommendations

Looking to upgrade to fibre optic broadband. So far I've looked at BT, Plusnet and Sky. They're all offering the same kind of package. Just not sure which to go for. I've heard good things about BT infinity but having read some of the posts in this forum, I'm not to sure. Anyone got Plusnet fibre optic? Any good? What about talk talk?? Do to BT throttle traffic/ traffic shape? Surely if they do, it's not "truly unlimited " as they are saying it is. Omg, I'm confused. Any help, advice and experiences will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Just speaking for myself, BT Infinity rocks. And they no longer traffic manage, either. Not even P2P applications. And I've also heard good reports about Plusnet too.

Have you checked whats available in your area?
  • R_P_W
    R_P_W Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well it's all Bt network anyway
  • TudorBlue
    TudorBlue Posts: 17 Forumite
    VisionMan wrote: »
    Just speaking for myself, BT Infinity rocks. And they no longer traffic manage, either. Not even P2P applications. And I've also heard good reports about Plusnet too.

Have you checked whats available in your area?
    Just found out, Plusnet are owned by BT. just done a quick check on sky and its coming back that I can't get sky fibre yet, but according to BT.com, Plusnet and Talk Talk, I can get fibre optic. I know this because the new cab, over the road from my house, went live last week. I'm not going to wait for sky, I'm going to sort it Monday. My next door neighbour is on BT infinity and he's getting 77mb. He's smug about it tbh as he was the first one in the street to get it installed. :T
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As advised, it's all a resold BT Wholesale product anyway. It's just a matter of Sky not having updated their systems yet if they say they're not offering it..
    Plusnet are owned by BT Group, but run independently, so nothing to do with BT Retail.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • TudorBlue
    TudorBlue Posts: 17 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    As advised, it's all a resold BT Wholesale product anyway. It's just a matter of Sky not having updated their systems yet if they say they're not offering it..
    Plusnet are owned by BT Group, but run independently, so nothing to do with BT Retail.

So there wouldn't be any differences in speed or service? I've read some Talk Talk reviews and they're not too favourable. Think it's an equipment thing. If I order on Monday, when can I expect an engineer to call and install it?
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    TudorBlue wrote: »
    So there wouldn't be any differences in speed or service? I've read some Talk Talk reviews and they're not too favourable. Think it's an equipment thing. If I order on Monday, when can I expect an engineer to call and install it?

Plusnet customer services are all based in the UK, BT are not.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

You do get different routers, and some providers may have traffic management if you download a lot but other than that its the same product.

Install time will depend on what demand is like in your local area, it will probably be at least a week.
  • Ive decided to go with Plusnet. Installation is going to be around 17,18 or 19 of this month. :beer:
  • ckrad
    ckrad Posts: 6 Forumite
    Ive decided to go with Plusnet. Installation is going to be around 17,18 or 19 of this month. :beer:

Good Choice, I was shopping and TalkTalk were just too cheap, plus their dire CS. BT were just too expensive so i just whent with PlusNet in the end, but from what ive heard their router can be a bit on the poor side. Mine gets installed on the 13th!
  • ckrad wrote: »
    Good Choice, I was shopping and TalkTalk were just too cheap, plus their dire CS. BT were just too expensive so i just whent with PlusNet in the end, but from what ive heard their router can be a bit on the poor side. Mine gets installed on the 13th!

As long as it works and I get what they say and what Im going to be paying for, if not, it'll be bye bye Plusnet. Let us know how everything goes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure