France Sanef Toll

Options
2»

Comments

• whiskywhisky
    Options
    shaunnnny - thanks.

I will visit the bank this lunchtime and see what they suggest. My understanding is that cheques and postal orders in England are only in Sterling.

Regarding not paying for it, I do visit France regularly and would not want this to crop up during my next visit and also want to do the right thing. Pain as I rang up again yesterday and emailed again!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 September 2013 at 10:35AM
    Options
    The last paragraph says that there is an admin fee of an extra 16 Euros if you do not settle in 10 days.

Banks can issue cheques in Euros but will charge you for it - 15 Pounds with Lloyds for instance.

I think I would just risk posting a 20 Euro note if you are intent on paying. Are they going to chase someone in England for a small amount if you don't pay?
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd send them a Sterling cheque for the amount - let them have the hassle :)
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • polskiegowLondynie
    Options
    Google translate; http://translate.google.com/

Can be also be quite helpfull when dealing with foreign documents, for future reference. (You would have to type out the text from the leter/ticket.)
  • angelil
    angelil Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see others have beaten me to it :)

French husband reckons that nobody will chase you for such a small amount, and that even if you do send €20 in cash, it will more likely end up in the pocket of a SANEF employee than be used to pay your debt :p Equally, even if SANEF made a connection between your car, this ticket and your next journey (highly unlikely), you would just have to pay what's already been said (toll plus €16 for it being more than 10 days late) - they wouldn't charge more.

In short, don't worry :D
  • whiskywhisky1
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - I am getting so fed up with this and will just not pay it.

Obviously not what I want to do, but I must off spent 4 or 5 hours over the last few days on the phone without any luck. Yesterday visited the post office and bank without much joy, the bank woul dhave made a draft for me for £25. I said no and seems silly for a smaller amount.

Sanef appear to be a largish company, as they look after tolls all over Europe. Surely they should make a bi-lingual website and a means on their site to pay via bank card.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sanef appear to be a largish company, as they look after tolls all over Europe. Surely they should make a bi-lingual website and a means on their site to pay via bank card.
    They expect people to pay their dues at their toll booths. I imagine they want to minimise the numbers of people who don't pay, so do all they can to discourage this. I'm quite surprised that they don't charge an admin fee for all late payments - not just after 10 days.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    could you take it with you when next in France and pay it at the first toll you come to?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure