First Direct Cash ISA Drop :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Santander 2 year major ISA was an option for me but went for FD instead. aaarrgghhh. I still think come October we will struggle to better on 2%, being instant access and monthly interest.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mickygg wrote: »
    The Santander 2 year major ISA was an option for me but went for FD instead. aaarrgghhh.
    Same here but the choice of 3% fixed or variable made it a no brainer, rates were always heading in one direction. Maybe you would be best to sit it out on 2%, wait for April '14 and hope for a repetition. Santander were head and shoulders above most other providers, maybe they'll do it again
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd be happier if FD allowed ISA savings to be offset against mortgages, but they don't. Perhaps a little bit unrealistic, but a nice dream none the less.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Same here but the choice of 3% fixed or variable made it a no brainer, rates were always heading in one direction. Maybe you would be best to sit it out on 2%, wait for April '14 and hope for a repetition. Santander were head and shoulders above most other providers, maybe they'll do it again

Thanks. Yes think you're right to sit it out until the end of the tax year for hopefully better rates.
    I transferred my Isa back in February to FD before the major was around. I ummed and erred but hoped FD when they dropped would keep the rates for existing customers.
    Oh well can't win them all!
  • ffacoffipawb
    Options
    Mickygg wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes think you're right to sit it out until the end of the tax year for hopefully better rates.
    I transferred my Isa back in February to FD before the major was around. I ummed and erred but hoped FD when they dropped would keep the rates for existing customers.
    Oh well can't win them all!

In June 2011 I took a 5 year fix with Birmingham Midshires at 4.89% monthly interest (5% AER).

Wasn't sure at the time and paid a 1.25% (180 days interest) penalty to withdraw from a Lloyds TSB 2 year fixed rate ISA to take this up. So net of that penalty I am getting 4.75% pa over 5 years.

I am glad I did this now as there is still just under 3 years left at this rate. Hopefully rates will be better in July 2016.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a strange move. The lower bracket (up to £5000) is going to jump from 0.5% to 1.3%, and the next bracket is going up from 1.2% to 1.5%. Perhaps they're trying to incentivise people to start saving at the expense of those who already have.
  • oldfella
    oldfella Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect their rationale is they have attracted a lot of £40k + savers and are now hoping they dont move away. Meanwhile make it more attractive for lower savers, then repeat the process in a while.

Inertia wins for the banks.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm one of those savers, and having done a quick recce when the rate was announced, there's pitifully few offers to match the reduced offer, sadly. Inertia it might not be, but that there's no better offers ...
  • Turtle
    Turtle Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The rate is still one of the best and allows transfers in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure