EDF Doing my head in (SORTED MONEY RECEIVED)

Options
MX5huggy
MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 1 November 2013 at 11:52AM in Energy
I have year long EDF saga.
The brief outline is:-
I signed up to them from Scottish Power (SP) for G and E.
The E was fine.
The G they used my neighbours Meter number so they did not close the account with SP.
I noticed and they said they would sort my bills now show the correct meter number but they still did not tell SP.
So for a year I have been paying EDF and SP for my gas.
I tried the energy ombudsman but they cant help as my complaint is over 9months old. Unless I get a dead lock letter from EDF.
I have now moved out and closed EDF and SP accounts.
EDF won't admit that they owe me for a year of gas.
I will admit that I have not been hot on this as I have other things to worry about but I am getting nowhere.
What are my options?

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2013 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Pity you have moved out, but make this check anyway

Gas meter numbers, the address they are at and who the supplier is, are all registered on a Central Data Base, (It's these people EDF failed to inform)
    Phone them on 0870 608 1524 giving them the Meter No. on the bills and they will tell you who they have registerd as the supplier
    ( It just maybe that EDF have now put things right, but if the register still says SP you are part the way home)

WRITE to EDF heading the letter Complaint, enlosing copies of both sets of bills, demanding that unless they provide written proof positive that they are the supplier, they refund what you have paid them.

If it transpires that EDF do supply proof positive, you send a Complaint letter to SP enclosing both sets of bills, together with a copy of EDF's letter demanding repayment from them
  • MX5huggy
    Options
    Thanks so the Central Data Base say its EDF supplying, that was not till I spoke to someone by tricking the automated line to put me through as that just gave me the Meter no and left a blank when they should have said the supplier.
  • dogshome
    Options
    OK - Now you need to establish the actual dates on which EDF took over your G & E supplies - The E may be different from the G. - You should have been notified in writing of these dates, but if you have not it's down to LETTER headed with that magic wordComplaint, demanding that they confirm these to you in writing.

When you got the written confirmation from EDF, enclose a copy in a letter to SP headed Complaint, demading repayment of the Gas Bill monies you paid to them
  • admania
    admania Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »
    OK - Now you need to establish the actual dates on which EDF took over your G & E supplies - The E may be different from the G. - You should have been notified in writing of these dates, but if you have not it's down to LETTER headed with that magic wordComplaint, demanding that they confirm these to you in writing.

When you got the written confirmation from EDF, enclose a copy in a letter to SP headed Complaint, demading repayment of the Gas Bill monies you paid to them

Before just going off and sending a letter entitled "COMPLAINT", do you not think it may be worth a phone call first, you may be surprised as to how that can help
  • MX5huggy
    Options
    I have tried the phone on numerous occasions, first on 6th Spetember 2012.

Then I have then had emails with two staff who just say its fixed we are closing your complaint and then I reply no its not and hear no more.

I closed the account (because I moved out) on 30/07/2013 and raised the complaint again, they did call me back the next day to say they would investigate.

Today I call and say what happening and they say we need to get person x to call you, I don't want person x to call me I want you to tell me what is happening now. x might die before this is resolved.
  • MX5huggy
    Options
    So I have got all my bills out and done some digging.
    I have SP bills from 27/04/2012 (they start before this but this date is before EDF get involved) to 26/07/2013 covering meter reads 3123 to 4281 cost £630.33.

EDF Start 19/06/2012 to 26/07/2013 reading 2435 to 4281 cost £849.35.
    The opening reading is estimated (? I gave them one). The EDF bills show the wrong Gas Meter number till a bill issued 03/06/2013 where they have the right Gas Meter number and meter reading but the opening reading is 2488 the day before SP did an actual reading of 3515.
  • MX5huggy
    Options
    I would like to be shorter but its complicated and I have not gone into great detail.

COMPLAINT
    Dear Steve Hayfield
    I have on numerous occasions contacted your staff by phone and email about this and have so far not received a satisfactory outcome or a complaint number I require a substantive reply within 10 working days (twice your own target).
    I signed up with EDF for Gas and Electricity on your Blue + Price Promise in May 2012 you started supplying my electricity from 11 June 2013 this was successful and I have no issues with the electricity account.
    You started to supply my gas from 19 June 2013 from this point you had my Gas Meter Number WRONG you used my neighbours. There were 2 consequences of this.
    Firstly my account with Scottish Power was not closed therefore I continued to pay Scottish Power for gas. Secondly you used the wrong meter readings from the inception of the account therefore overcharging me for gas I was already paying Scottish Power for anyway.
    On 6 September 2012 I called EDF and explained you had got my Gas Meter Number mixed with my neighbour. Your records will show further contacts and actions you have taken, none of them addressing me being charged for gas by EDF and Scottish power.
    I enclose copies of my EDF bills and Scottish Power bills covering the same period.
    On 26 July 2013 I closed my account with you and Scottish Power (they show 9 Aug 2013 which when I actually informed them) as I had moved.
    I have highlighted on the bills in red items that are wrong.
    It maybe that you believe that Scottish Power is at fault in this case, if so please supply documentary evidence to this effect. Otherwise I believe I am owed all monies I have paid for gas to you for the period you supplied me a total of £849.35 (although your complicated discounting schemes for DD and Duel Fuel may adjust this slightly).
    Additionally based on the prices on the final bills I will have paid Scottish power £52.79 more than if you had taken my account on correctly.
    Finally I have spent in excess of 12 hours dealing with this due to EDF’s incompetence therefore I am claiming £96 in part compensation for my time.
  • dogshome
    edited 31 August 2013 at 9:08AM
    Options
    OK - Phone Customer Services and ask for the address of the Complaints team to whom the letter should be sent
    This used be given on the back of every bill, but no longer - I've trawled thro' my old bills and had to go back to 2010 to find it
    EDF Osprey Hse Osprey Rd Sowton Ind. Estate Exeter EX2 7WN
    but check it with Customer Services

Obviously EDF's Start Reading bares no relationship to your meter reading at the time of the failed Gas Switch, but your billing from SP is accurate - Have a look at SP's bill that spans the date of the Switch, then by useing the daily consumption figure you should get close to what your meter actually read on Switch day
  • MX5huggy
    Options
    I was going to send it to step 2 on this leaflet. I have a meter read by SP the day before the switch.

http://www.edfenergy.com/products-services/for-your-home/documents/government-complaints-handling-standard.pdf
  • dogshome
    edited 31 August 2013 at 7:33PM
    Options
    Just in case you are not aware, the word Complaint has a special meaning for utility suppliers - It's use brings into play a set rules the supplier must abide by, by the terms of their licence.
    Also for reasons of Law that have not caught up with the real world, a letter headed Complaint carries more weight than a phone call or Email, so send your letter as a 'To be signed for' item
    Haveing been thro' the mill once, you are probably aware that EDF have 56 days, ( 8 weeks), to resolve the problem - If they don't you go straight to the Ombudsman, you don't need a 'deadlock letter'
    As an aside, I notice that EDF are not the only supplier who have
    stopped putting an address for written Complaints on their bills - Not a
    surprise as written Complaints are the customers best weapon, but it
    does point up the slimy attitude of even the major suppliers.

Your letter I've done a draft of my own style below, use it, use part of or ignore it as you wish

EDF
    EX2 7EW
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxComplaint
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour Refs. Account No, xxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxTariff xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMeter No.xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSupply Address xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sirs,
    On 19th June 2012 you took over my Gas supply from Scottish Power, but there have been huge problems since.

1) As a Start Reading on the account you did not use the reading I gave you, but a fictional Estimated reading of 2435 - In fact my meter had been read the day before on 18th June 2012 by Scottish Power as 3515. Copy of bill enclosed

2) This Meter Read confusion was no doubt caused by the fact that you made an error on the meter number and had taken over my neighbors meter.
    I first noticed and advised you of this on Sept. 6th 2012 and have made repeated calls ever since, but it was not until June 3rd 2013, (11 months later), that you rectified the problem.

3) Due the meter number adoption error, the Central Gas Meter Registration Service failed to notify Scottish Power of the Switch, who have continued been billing me for Gas use from the Switch date of 19th June 2012, through to 26th July 2013 when I moved and closed both yours and their accounts.
    NOTE - 26th July is 54 days after you supposedly resolved the meter mix-up problem with both Scottish Power and the Central Registery

Although you, according to Central Registry have been my Gas supplier since 19th June 2012, your errors and lackadasical attitude in resolving them have caused me not only to pay you for more Gas than I have used, but at that same time also pay Scottish Power for my actual Gas consumption.

How you resolve the problem between yourselves, Scottish Power and Central Registry is not my concern, but as the entire situation is due to a catalogue of errors by EDF, I hold you responsible for the costs I have incuured:
    Gas bill payments to EDF........................................................£849.35
    Scottish Power Gas tariff costs over EDF................................£ 52.79
    For my Time & Expenses in dealing with the problems.............£ 96.00
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Total £998.14

Yours faithfully,

XXXXXXXXx

Keep us all posted & Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts