Term time holiday fine question.

Options
I've had a look but can't find the answer.

Is the fine to take a child out of school term time £60 per child per parent if paid in advance?

Is that per day or per holiday so same fine amount if it you take them out for one week or three weeks?
It's only a bargain if you need it.

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    In our LA it is per child per parent per week I believe. So effectively £120 per child for each week or part of week you are away, and if you are away for 6 weeks you can be removed from the school roll
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps if the fines are such that the savings made by booking a fortnight in Marbella outside of holiday term are outweighed by the amount you have to pay the education authority, people will think twice about disrupting their child's schooling.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Lieja
    Lieja Posts: 466 Forumite
    Options
    When you say per child per parent - how does this affect a non resident parent who isn't actually involved in the holiday?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The wording from my kids schools are '£60 per child, per parent' for an absence unauthorised. It doubles if you don't pay it. I assume you receive the fine and then are given so long to pay- maybe 28 days? It doesn't make it clear what happens if you are in a household where the other parent doesn't live there.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps if the fines are such that the savings made by booking a fortnight in Marbella outside of holiday term are outweighed by the amount you have to pay the education authority, people will think twice about disrupting their child's schooling.

How do you know where they're going?
  • starlight29
    Options
    I didnt realise you got fined ! We ve never been on hol in schooltime but I assumed you just had to fill a form in if you were going away or something.
    Ouch that could cost im really shocked they do that I had no idea my friend has 6 kids and is going away last week in september wonder if she knows !!!!!

Starlight
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    I'm taking my youngest out next week, his first week back. My eldest are not due back at uni/college yet.

I look forward to challenging the "fine" ;)
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    I didnt realise you got fined ! We ve never been on hol in schooltime but I assumed you just had to fill a form in if you were going away or something.
    Ouch that could cost im really shocked they do that I had no idea my friend has 6 kids and is going away last week in september wonder if she knows !!!!!

It's a new regulation imposed on the schools by the government.

https://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/behaviour/attendance/a00223868/regulations-amendments
    The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006 currently allow headteachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday during term time in “special circumstances” of up to ten school days leave per year. Headteachers can also grant extended leave for more than ten school days in exceptional circumstances.

Amendments to the 2006 regulations remove references to family holiday and extended leave as well as the statutory threshold of ten school days. The amendments make clear that headteachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.

The 2007 regulations set out the procedures for issuing penalty notices (fines) to each parent who fails to ensure their children’s regular attendance at school or fails to ensure that their excluded child is not in a public place during the first five days of exclusion. Parents must pay £60 if they pay within 28 days; or £120 if they pay within 42 days.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Options

Starlight
    You did! Some local authorities or even different schools within the same LA had different rules, some would authorise, some wouldn't, some fined, others didn't. New rules come in from September. Some schools may have applied the old rules to a holiday authorised before they were informed of a change forthcoming. Some schools applied a period of grace. Daughter's Junior school said the new rules come in in Sept (this was around April/May time) and are applied with immediate effect. Son's Secondary in next village and in same pyramid of schools sent out a letter weeks later and said we'll apply old rules if you put in a request by x date (about 10 days away)
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    After seeing 5 children through high school with 1 to go (Age 14) I think you may be over rating schooling.

1-2 weeks out a year won't harm if the kids are told that they must work hard all year. No backchat, homework to a good standard.

I think parents are the biggest influence to a child's grades.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport