TV Aerial Installation - North London

Can anyone recommend a good TV aerial installation company in North London?

We've just moved home and all the Freeview channels are 'jumpy' and distorted. The previous owners used Sky, so I expect the TV aerial hasn't been used for a long time.

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I bought an aerial from Wilkies and just put it inside the loft and it works fine.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 August 2013 at 12:51PM
    matm00 wrote: »
    We've just moved home and all the Freeview channels are 'jumpy' and distorted. The previous owners used Sky, so I expect the TV aerial hasn't been used for a long time.
    Two alternative options come to mind, first see if an indoor aerial will suffice and secondly why not buy a Freesat decoder and just plug it into the satellite dish the previous owners had fitted?
    Both of these options will likely be far cheaper than getting an installer out.
  • matm00
    matm00 Posts: 23 Forumite
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I bought an aerial from Wilkies and just put it inside the loft and it works fine.

I'm definitely considering trying this, but I'm not keen on DIY and making holes in walls/ceilings... ;)
  • matm00
    Two alternative options come to mind, first see if an indoor aerial will suffice and secondly why not buy a Freesat decoder and just plg it into the satellite dish the previous owners had fitted?
    Both of these options will likely be far cheaper than getting an installer out.

The indoor aerial is definitely an option.

I did look into Freesat, but I actually want to get YouView and for that I would need a normal 'digital' aerial. I've heard that Freesat+ with FreeTime is a YouView 'alternative', but that it's not quite as polished? Would an installer really cost more than a Freesat+ with FreeTime box (about £270 on Amazon)?
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    If anyone comes and quotes you for fitting a "digital" aerial then show them the door.

There is no such thing and it has been known for people to hike prices on the basis of this.
  • [Deleted User]
    Would an installer really cost more than a Freesat+ with FreeTime box (about £270 on Amazon)?
    Probably a similar amount in London, but factor in that you'd have a VERY superior Freesat decoder at that price...far cheaper versions are also available.
  • matm00
    wiogs wrote: »
    If anyone comes and quotes you for fitting a "digital" aerial then show them the door.

There is no such thing and it has been known for people to hike prices on the basis of this.

Sorry, by 'digital' I just meant a normal aerial (that can be used for Freeview). I don't know what the correct terminology is, but I know it's just a normal aerial at the end of the day ;)
  • matm00
    Probably a similar amount in London, but factor in that you'd have a VERY superior Freesat decoder at that price...far cheaper versions are also available.

Interesting. I'm glad I did this bit of research. Sounds like putting an aerial in the loft might be the best thing to try initially.
  • [Deleted User]
    Sounds like putting an aerial in the loft might be the best thing to try initially.
    Not if you eventually want to plug in a YouView box.
  • matm00
    North London aerial installation for a semi or terrace property should be around £165.00.

Try and use some one who is a member of either the CAI or the (new) RDI, I would steer away from the nationals and go for a localish firm, with an actual address.7

Dont worry if an installer says "digital aerial" they/we all do now for many reasons.

If you do buy your own loft aerial, dont buy it from one of the DIY chains, they are garbage and over priced, they are also wideband, and for the best hope of it working on Crystal Palace buy a Group A.

Many thanks for the info, that's good to know. £165 isn't so bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure