talk talk price rise

in Phones & TV
16 replies 2K views
JamesNJamesN Forumite
742 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
Did anyone else get the email from talk talk about them basically doubling the price of their broadband. What an absolute joke. If it was a remotely decent service i'd be fine with it but i've spoken to about 8 people on the phone with them and only 1 of them knew what they were talking about.

Anyway rant over.

In the email it states that due to this increase you are free to leave without charge if you do it within 30 days. However, at the start I paid the years line rental all in one go. Surely I should be entitled to a proportionate refund on this amount due to the change in contract?

Thanks,
James

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because it's not a fixed price contract. How has it 'doubled'?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • JamesNJamesN Forumite
    742 Posts
    ✭✭
    I was paying £3.25, now its going up to 7.50 so over a 100% increase...
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you'll find that's because you were on a promo deal that has now ended...probably the usual 6 months half price, then full price for the remaining minimum term. Check your contract T&C's.
    They have announced a price increase on some products, but certainly not doubled!
  • edited 26 August 2013 at 1:02PM
    JamesNJamesN Forumite
    742 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 26 August 2013 at 1:02PM
    macman wrote: »
    I think you'll find that's because you were on a promo deal that has now ended...probably the usual 6 months half price, then full price for the remaining minimum term. Check your contract T&C's.
    They have announced a price increase on some products, but certainly not doubled!

No, there was no expiry of a deal, i'll double check my contract though. I had agreed with them £3.25pm for the whole of my contract for broadband. See the email below:

We’re changing our prices from October 2013:

• Your TalkTalk Essentials package will be £7.50 a month from your October bill.
    • Any calls you make outside your bundle will be slightly higher from 1st October 2013. Find all
    the details at talktalk.co.uk/callprices

We have to increase our prices to be able to upgrade our services. But you can cancel your contract without charge within 30 days of getting this email.

Ideally i'd like to move away from talktalk as the service I have received is just awful.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did your contract commence? Essentials was on a 12m deal at £3.25, it's now £3.75 for 12m. Both for a 12m minimum term. So despite what you say, I think your 12m promo deal has ended. Which means that you are free to cut a retention deal or leave, as your minimum term has also ended (unles it was an 18m minimum term).
    If it's Essentials, it's not your broadband that is £3.25, it's your calls package and broadband-still not bad at £7.50.
    Bear in mind that if you are on an LLU TT line then you will probably not be able to go direct to another LLU provider.
  • edited 27 August 2013 at 8:48PM
    JamesNJamesN Forumite
    742 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 27 August 2013 at 8:48PM
    Joined in April so quite far from the end of the 12m deal. They've responded saying im free to leave but provided no clarity regarding partially refunding the years line rental i paid upfront.
  • MillicentBystanderMillicentBystander Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talktalk change their introductory offers so often it's hard to keep up but IIRC they have in the past offered 6 months half price as opposed to 12 months so maybe this is where the confusion is arising?
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    JamesN wrote: »
    Joined in April so quite far from the end of the 12m deal. They've responded saying im free to leave but provided no clarity regarding partially refunding the years line rental i paid upfront.

One of the drawbacks of going with any upfront line rental deal - AFAIA there's no get out of jail card with this one as your line rental hasn't increased.
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    JamesN wrote: »

"Will I get any refund if I cancel my Value Line Rental?

No, but you will get a credit upon termination of your TalkTalk/AOL package."

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/my-account-bills/value-line-rental#refund
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ypaymore wrote: »
    "Will I get any refund if I cancel my Value Line Rental?

No, but you will get a credit upon termination of your TalkTalk/AOL package."

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/my-account-bills/value-line-rental#refund

I must be thick as I genuinely don't understand what that means.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides