Any Ideas for a supercheap black and white "retro" wedding?

Options

Comments

• Miss_Communicate
    Options
    Gutted: Penguin said no to the invite. So thats that then.
    next idea please?
  • denimwonder
    Options
    How about scanning a ration book and using computer wizardry to change the details. I did something similar for a WW2 event at my library. You can pm me if you want to see it.
  • Little_Miss_Penny_Less
    Options
    I just have to say I think your wedding is going to be stunning! You've got some amazing ideas and the black and white theme will be great and so different.

I had a thought on the bunting for you - to avoid the chequered flag look that plain black and white bunting might give, how about making the bunting from patterened material (black and white florals or stripes or paisley, maybe incorporate the red here too)? Or even cheaper, patterened paper... one step cheaper again and you could use newspaper or photocopy old traditional looking newspapers from the library or museum archives and use them as bunting?
  • Miss_Communicate
    Options
    An update on the planning:

Have found the venue now- no longer a village hall but an old tithe barn.
    The plan is marriage in the town hall (which is lovely as the nearest registry office is gross and miles away)- makes it a bit more expensive (£100 to hire +£220 fr the registrar etc) but there you go. Then walk round to the Tithe Barn for the reception which has no heating but is stunning and cheap to hire (£130).

Will have to hire tables, chairs, glasses, cutlery, napkins etc. so am on a mission to do that on the supercheap and will also hve to buy loads of battery operated candles for the slit windows as real candles are banned.

We have found a chippy who will cater for 100 for about £350 then we intend to have a plate of old fashioned cakes (iced buns, fondant fancies etc) for pudding with the cake being eaten later in the evening for a snack. We may try and get an icecream van as well. We will have the individual fake chip newspaper which I will mock up at some point.

Downside to the venue is it is in a park where Yoofs hang out so will need to hire a bouncer for the door to prevent gatecrashers!

Anyhow Mr C hasgot really excited abut it all now as we went to a wedding at the weekend which was very swanky and he wants loads of supercheap things as well.

Hurrah for wedding planning!
    :)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rather than battery operated candles, how about fairy lights?
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Miss_Communicate
    Options
    We will have fairy lights as well i think!

Am soooo excited. The wonderful people at Unilever foods have donated me 100 heart shaped portions of marmite FOR FREE! (I was quite happy to pay!)

This will go well with the bread and butter for serving with the fish and chips!!

Hurrah for free things in a wedding profit obsessed world.
  • Destined_to_be_skint
    Options
    How fabulous! Who'd have thought they'd have heart shaped marmite inthe first place????

Anyway, will be relaly interested to hear where you get all your chairs, etc from ont he cheap as I'm going to have to hire mine too...if we EVER fix a date that is!!
  • violetviolin
    Options
    your wedding sounds so exciting!!! :j i really love all your ideas!!

about the invite, if you've not got it sorted yet, maybe you could use a book cover from a book that has run out of copyright? i've seen galleries of book covers (not exactly sure where now) online, and i think those images are so old they've lost their copyright now. hope this helps!
  • lois_lane_3
    Options
    Hi Miss Communciate,

I so love this thread. I am wanting to have a 1950s theme for my wedding in August next year. When are you getting married?

Just a couple of quick ideas for you - if you do go down the whole potluck route, make sure someone brings Coronation Chicken as that was obviously invented in the 1950s for the Queen's coronation! The other thing I've been looking at is the bouquet that the queen was presented with on her coronation - it was all white and featured flowers from England, Soctland, Wales and ireland, including lily of the valley, carnations, stephanotis and orchids, so maybe you could use that for inspiration?

Also check out my link on antoher forum about this:http://forums.confetti.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105572&hl=1950s

There's some great links to people's pics of 1950s dresses....

Keep in touch - lookign forward to hearing more about your fab ideas!!
  • Miss_Communicate
    Options
    Hi Lois,
    I am getting married on 2nd August next year.

The theme is changing slightly but I am not sure what it is evolving into yet! retro best of british now doesn't fit so well with a medieval tithe barn.
    :)

But not going down the medieval route or the barn dance route no way!
    All I have for an idea so far is jam jars full of sweetpeas on tables as centrepieces.

I am sure it will work into something- else it'll be hodgepodge and happy theme!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure