We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    Wizard, could you post a link to the seed you buy please? I've tried lots of no grow ones and always still have a mini meadow under the feeders. I've looked on the country wide website and can't find it. Thanks.

I had this problem for ages, especially with niger seed when the feeder pole was anchored in an flower border but now its anchored in a cylinder apike container in the lawn anything which gets missed by the ground feeding birds simoly gets shopped down by the mower.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    Wizard, could you post a link to the seed you buy please? I've tried lots of no grow ones and always still have a mini meadow under the feeders. I've looked on the country wide website and can't find it. Thanks.
    I am sorry for the miss-spell, it should have been County Wide, I didn't realise until I saw your post :o

I get mine from a local petfood shop as it arrives postage free that way and also it is easier to pick it up from them rather than hope to be in when it is delivered.
    The company that it comes from is called: Albert E James & Son Ltd and the website is w3.aejames.com/id7html, there is contact details there for ordering by phone or email but no online ordering as such.
    I get the VAM no grow, this time it was £19.50 for 15kg bag.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hooray! Baby blackbirds in my garden, looks like 3rd time lucky for the pair here! I believe magpies have had the first two broods, there has been a dreadful racket of blackbird and magpie "shouting" twice, but it was all over by the time I got there.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,068 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A very welcome addition to my peanut feeders!

Woodpecke2r.jpg
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lovely photo Gers, really clear.

We've noticed a huge difference this month, definitely not as many birds visiting at the moment. Whilst it is saving me a fortune on fat balls and seed, I do miss seeing the birds.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Same here, Cally, except for a greenfinch. That's a new one for us.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,068 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My garden is full of birds still- goldfinches galore, chaffinches, siskins, two collared doves and endless little brown things!

The peanut feeders are the main attraction for the various tits whilst the others are feasting on sunflower seeds and hearts.

There's a lot of twittering and tweeting going on outside, it's lovely to hear.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's been a lovely birdie summer. I pondered on getting a cat for a while but I think I enjoy watching the birds more than a few granted cuddles at the moment!
    The Wrens and Warblers must live nearby the window where my desk is so there is constant distraction! Sparrows, too. A whole lot of swallows was chasing a sparrowhawk yesterday, quite a spectacle! The did not let up until he was truly gone, no hiding in the trees allowed! Mr pheasant has basically moved in, the chickens and ducks have accepted his presence in the meantime, even the cockerel has given up chasing him. Sad, though that he no longer has a lady to bring along, she must have been taken last summer.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,617 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I spotted long tailed T I T s at the suet blocks a few days ago :)

Hopefully they'll become everyday visitors soon :)
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The company that it comes from is called: Albert E James & Son Ltd and the website is w3.aejames.com/id7html, there is contact details there for ordering by phone or email but no online ordering as such.
    I get the VAM no grow, this time it was £19.50 for 15kg bag.

I couldn't get your link to work but got it in through https://www.aejames.com perhaps page link has changed?

Anyhow, thank you for the info :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport