make up storage

Options
I have messy/hoarder tendencies :(
My make up is currently in a couple of drawers and a large bag.
I'm planning a general declutter/tidy and am hoping so some ideas on storage for make up.
sooo, what do you use? (pics welcome! :)

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I keep the make up I wear each day in a bag. Cleanser and such like in a drawer in the bedroom so its easy to grab at night.

I carry lipstick and mirror in my handbag.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I use the top drawer of my built in drawers in one of the wardrobes, it usefully has a mirror on the inside of the door and gets natural light from the window which is opposite so ideal for me to see where I am putting my foundation.

In the drawer I have two shoe boxes without lids one has creams and potions and the other has make up..I had a de-clutter a few weeks ago and threw out all make up I don't use anymore. I haven't got a photo sorry...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • RachRubyD
    RachRubyD Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have a whole chest of drawers for mine buts its allowed as am a makeup artist haha. Its best to try and keep things together. You could have a small bag (a clear bag makes it easier to see what you need as well) to store your everyday makeup. So thats your favourite foundation,concealor,blusher,bronzer, mascara and so on.

But for other makeup (say maybe you have a foundation thats heavier than your daytime was for special occasions or a few different colour blushes or eyeliners) store them together. I store anything for face together that includes foundations, primers, blushes, setting powder, bronzers and concealors in one draw. Eye stuff in another draw so eyelines, eyebrow pencils, mascara and shadows and fake lashes in the 2nd draw. Lipstick, lipgloss and lipliner in another draw and lastly things like cleansers, moisturer, tweezers, cotton pads or buds.

Here is a really cute storage mini chest of drawers you can put ontop of your own chest of drawers or wherever you want. They do it in a smaller size for cheaper. Its from ikea and I first noticed it on a brilliant blog and someone has used it for makeup storage and decorated it to make it look fancy.

If you don't have alot Ikea do those things you can put in chest of drawers for socks and jewellery but people use it for makeup as well.
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The ikea alex drawers are fab for make-up storage. It comes with either 6 or 9 drawers and fits in with most decor.
  • june.elizabeth
    Options
    I use two cutlery trays in the top drawer of a chest of drawers. Cheap to buy and works well everything is easy to find
    yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift thats why its called the present ;)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have an antique tool box...a sort of mini chest of drawers. It has five shelves of graduating depth , so I use the top one for brushes and tools like sharpeners, then the ones below ...go through everything else grouped together. A couple of years ago I had a big sort out and got rid of some stuff that probably is less flattering for skin no longer in its twenties:( and should probably edit again soon. A whole drawer of this mini unit is eye shadow, I love colour though find its less and less forgiving!

I have a separate box for nail varnish and foot/ hand cream and tools. This is literally just my cosmetics box. I realised quite early in life even with my varied tastes in colour and style I needed few really bulky items to achieve the changes, eyeshadows ( I also use these as eyeliners with a wet brush) and lipsticks and some multiples are my 'collections' and these actually condense well, and really, I then realised I had started buying colours very similar to each other, only I could tell a difference. I've cut right back now.

If I could find a perfect mascara and foundation I'd probably be set for life and only need to replace those!
  • HPoirot
    HPoirot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I'm another one who uses shoe boxes in a chest drawer to keep makeup and cosmetics according to category - ie eyeshadows, blushers, foundation, etc. Makes it easier to mix and match your colours, and any spills, etc is always a good excuse to get a new pair of shoes if only for the box!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    QUOTE=HPoirot;62869693] is always a good excuse to get a new pair of shoes if only for the box![/QUOTE]

No sorry I don't need an excuse I love shoes;)
    If I could find a perfect mascara and foundation I'd probably be set for life and only need to replace those!

Found mine about two years ago Clinique Even Better Foundation and their mascaras are great for me and no dearer than Number 7;)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • honey06
    honey06 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks everyone for the info and ideas :j

my drawers are a bit of a jumble and since reading your replies and thinking about it a bit more (when getting ready) I've realised part of the problem is the current drawers are the opposite side of the room to the dressing table, which doesnt have the best light, so I tend to grab what i want to use, get ready in the bathroom and then sweep everything back as quickly as possible into the drawers (hence the jumble)

sooo, I think I'm going to invest in an illuminated mirror and some storage which can sit on the dressing table (its just a table- no drawers)
    I would dearly love some of the muji acrylic drawers which lots of beauty bloggers have, but for now I'll probably start with the ikea ones that RachRubyD linked to, or possibly this http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/birdcage-3-drawer-storage-unit/product/35934615

this should be a good start, unless anyone has any more ideas? :p
  • green1970
    green1970 Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a Ikea Helmer drawer unit with the Antonius inserts (totally copied from this wonderful blogger - http://www.lipglossiping.com/2012/04/the-perfect-ikea-makeup-storage-solution-for-less-than-youd-think/ ) It's perfect. I've also got a tall Ikea Billy Bookcase (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60085713/ ) for all my skincare. Each shelf perfectly holds two glossy box boxes side by side so that everything can be kept together, cleansers/scrubs in one, serums/masks in another, toners, body stuff, lip/eye care, hand stuff, hair stuff, perfumes, etc
    11th Heaven prizes Number 103
    Jan Wins - £15 itunes voucher, Food Processor
    1) Holiday 2) Cash 3) Ipad [STRIKE]4) Kitchen gadgets[/STRIKE] 5) New Actifry 6) Garden/House makeover 7) New Bed 8) Multi-region BluRay player 9) Netbook 10) Gig tickets 11) 3D TV

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure