NatWest Yourpoints (airmiles replacement)

Options
Just thought I'd offer my services....

I work on the Natwest Yourpoints helpline, so if you've got any questions about them, shoot! (Just not literally please....I just answer questions, I didn't invent the scheme....)

Comments

• ramit
    ramit Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I reckon I spend around 8K a year on my card.No way I'm forking out £3 to join yourpoints. Do you know any way to get them to remove this charge?- Although I spend £1K some months, its definetly not all months. If they insist on this charge, I'll be moving to the Lloyds or Capitol One account.
  • justmakebelieve
    Options
    The charge can't be removed unfortunately. If you threaten to cancel then, depending on what sector customer you are then you may be put through to Customer Loyalty, in which they can offer some extra things, but unfortunately they won't remove the charge.

spending £6,000 means you'll see rewards. Its a good scheme, but unless you're a big spender, I'd go with a cashback card. Lloyds does seem pretty good, but obviously theres the whole AMEX-Mastercard issue, with the Mastercard only offering 1 airmile for every £50.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,337 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My OH has a NAT West Visa and Nat West Mastercard and got letters through the post about this new scheme. I think he's chucked the letters away now, but he understood that there was no charges unless he specifically signed up for the scheme, is that right or has he misunderstood?

Edit:

I found this on the website. One card is used for more than £100o on 'most' months, but the other isn't. Any idea whether the total is cumulative between cards or a charge for each card?

This is available free only to people who spend at least £1,000 a month and who were on the previous Airmiles schemes. Everyone else will have to pay £3 per month to be a member of the scheme.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • justmakebelieve
    Options
    If the cards are on different accounts (ie have different statements) then theres a charge on each card, and you have to spend £1000 on each to get it waived. This is a bit of a grey area though - we don't have anyone from Natwest in the building at the momen..... You can register just one card (quite a lot of people have taken this option actually, moving most of their spending over to one of their cards) if you don't register them then theres no charge, bt obv you don't get any reward points.

Important to note - not everyone gets charged, so if you've got a letter which doesn't mention a charge, then you get the scheme for free, no matter how much you spend in a month.
  • soolin
    Options
    Ok, thanks.

OH doesn't want these point thingys, we don't even use the thousands of airmiles we already get. So if I understand it correctly as long as he doesn't sign up for the scheme then the cards remain 'free'.

That's brilliant..all we have to do now is to stop Nat West sending a letter every single day of the week telling him to sign up....
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • justmakebelieve
    Options
    hah, yea, they seem to be sending two copies of each letter to each card, so if you have two cards....

He can ring and actually 'opt out', but I think (no official word from Natwest, but...) the latest ones which went out should be the last. We've been having loads of calls recently, so I think it got through to lots of people who didn't ring first time.
  • soolin
    Options
    Does he have to opt out though...surely the default should be to opt in if it is optional?

We've had about 8 letters now, probably because he won't sign up like a good boy. He's going to call them tomorrow and suggest they stop sending these letters as he does not want a card that he has to pay for.
  • justmakebelieve
    Options
    He doesn't have to opt out, default is opt out, but the letters are going out to people who havn't responded. If he rings we can opt him out.
  • TommyGun_2
    TommyGun_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Lloyds does seem pretty good, but obviously theres the whole AMEX-Mastercard issue, with the Mastercard only offering 1 airmile for every £50.

Did you forget to mention that the AMEX card gives 1 airmile for every £10 ? ;)

What do you mean when you refer to "the whole AMEX-Mastercard issue" ?

TG
  • soolin
    Options
    I've posted on the other thread that is running..but my OH *was* going to be charged! So even if the letter you have doesn't specifically say you are going to be charged, it is worth phoning them.

OH is furious...he is now looking around to replace the Nat West cards as he has completely lost faith with Nat West now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure