Got Windows XP Home need to install XP Pro??

Options
Hi,

Everyones been so helpful here so I wonder if anyone here with software experience can lend me a hand. :p Basically, I recently purchased a dell laptop (thanks grabbit board ;)) which came pre installed with window xp home and today Ive managed to get a copy of windows xp profesionnal (need extra features for work) and want to put it on my new laptop. The question is, how do I take the original xp home operating system off and install the new professional version? I havent a clue. it may be worth noting that the xp pro disc I have is a 'clean install disc' and not an upgrade disc so I think I need to wipe the original operating system off completely to install it, the dell laptop I have also doesnt have a floppy disc drive (knew you needed one for past OS installs).

So confused, my head hurts. :confused:

If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction, id be so happy id feel like clapping! :T

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Everyones been so helpful here so I wonder if anyone here with software experience can lend me a hand. :p Basically, I recently purchased a dell laptop (thanks grabbit board ;)) which came pre installed with window xp home and today Ive managed to get a copy of windows xp profesionnal (need extra features for work) and want to put it on my new laptop. The question is, how do I take the original xp home operating system off and install the new professional version? I havent a clue. it may be worth noting that the xp pro disc I have is a 'clean install disc' and not an upgrade disc so I think I need to wipe the original operating system off completely to install it, the dell laptop I have also doesnt have a floppy disc drive (knew you needed one for past OS installs).

So confused, my head hurts. :confused:

If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction, id be so happy id feel like clapping! :T

While waiting for everyone else to wake up :) you could try posting your question into the newsgroup

microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to provide you with a direct link there.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • zacspeed_2
    zacspeed_2 Posts: 636 Forumite
    Options
    It's usually a pretty straight forward exercise. First, back up all your important data to a removable source (CD, DVD) not forgetting your address book as I usually do! Then re-boot. Whilst booting, enter the BIOS of your machine (usually by pressing F2 - but check your manufacturers instructions for variations), & set the computer to boot from CD first, & insert the XP pro disc. Save the changes & exit. When you boot the machine again, the disc should auto run & explain everything you need to do (format your hard drive etc).
    I hope this helps a little, & I apologise if any of the info I've given you is incorrect (I'm no expert), but I think that's the basic stuff you'll need to get started.
    :D
    Women priests. Great. Now there's priests of both sexes I don't listen to - Bill Hicks.
  • urbanite
    urbanite Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Download a utility like WinDriver Backup and backup all your drivers aswell as dacking up any data you need to keep.
    Dont forget your favorites folder, address books, documents etc.

Follow advice on the post above.
    Set 1st boot device to CD in the Bios.
    Boot up with XP Pro cd in the drive.
    Follow on screen instructions.
    Once installed check in device manager for any devices not recognised/not installed and correct them from your drived backup.
    Replace your backed up data.
    Download and install service pack 2.
    £2 savers club = £83.50
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What I did was probably wrong then. I just wrote stuff I wanted to keep (address book etc) to a CD, then put the XP disc in and installed it. I didn't reboot or anything, it's been fine.
    Bulletproof
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    troo wrote:
    What I did was probably wrong then. I just wrote stuff I wanted to keep (address book etc) to a CD, then put the XP disc in and installed it. I didn't reboot or anything, it's been fine.
    It's been not unknown for things to go horribly wrong for a few people - so the advice from microsoft support boards is to back up everything you consider the least bit important.

You were obviously one of the many lucky ones :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jay_Wiseman
    Jay_Wiseman Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    yes thanks, i want to do a 'clean install' not an upgrade from within windows, the disc wont let me 'says this is not an upgrade disc' etc, so I basically need to wipe xp home off first before it will let me install. Not sure how to do this. :(
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes thanks, i want to do a 'clean install' not an upgrade from within windows, the disc wont let me 'says this is not an upgrade disc' etc, so I basically need to wipe xp home off first before it will let me install. Not sure how to do this. :(

The newsgroup I suggested a bit higher up the page here is one that is read by, and supported by, volunteer Microsoft personnel.

They will be able to tell you exactly what to do. In full.

Hope that helps.
  • funkymonkey
    funkymonkey Posts: 524 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    i have found though after installing XP Pro on around 30 machines - that it doesnt take well when you install over XP home - best results come from saving doccuments and files to disc, then in BIOS run from CD, DELETE ALL HARD DRIVE PARTITIONS, ( i know that sounds scary but its not!) Format a new partition then run the disc in the new partition - this works the best!
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • DVB_3
    DVB_3 Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't delete the diagnostics partition.
  • Jay_Wiseman
    Options
    dont know how to access the newsgroup suggested, is it on ms site some where? And havent a clue how to delete all hard drive partitions or format a new one, thats kinda why Im here. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure