We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debate House Prices


In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Nice People Thread Part 9 - and so it continues

1…146147149151152…995

Comments

  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Seriously? You could bash together a mess really cheaply from discounted broken shop bought (dry) meringue and some strawbs and a little tub of cream.

    Or one of those meringues with cream in in and a few strawberries if pushed.

    Meringues are already better than cupcakes, aren't they? ;). A nice chewy nut meringue for example.....
    First of all - forget about discounted. There are never any discounts in the shops (I look/head for that section EVERY time I am in a shop). Where I shop I'm more likely to have to find a 2nd/3rd shop just to get the stuff I'm actually after. I couldn't even pick up a "small tin of cheap pineapple chunks" the other week as all the shelves were empty.

    "Some strawbs" would involve buying a whole tub. Cream would involve knowing which sort and buying a whole tub.

    So, I'd be sitting there with a whole meringue, whole tub of strawberries and a whole tub of cream ..... that it was then solely up to me to create and eat.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/direct_to_rust_metal_paint_hammered_finish.jsp

    Copper barn doors? Too ott even for me? Road side? Would silver be less brash? Against my sort of teal paint?
    Dunno ... except I wonder if they might become a target if ferals thing they're made of something they're not..... might have them robbed in the night.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Generali wrote: »
    It's a great simple, cheap pudding as it tastes good and is reasonably healthy for the kids/Missus as it has fruit, protein and dairy.
    But you'd not make one each would you. Imagine that.... making 4x the quantity..... that's what it's like for me making one.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Even I can eat a tub of strawberries in a few days. A few for breakfast, for pudding. You could have them with the cream and meringue over and over and over till it was all gone, Not many people would complain......
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Dunno ... except I wonder if they might become a target if ferals thing they're made of something they're not..... might have them robbed in the night.

    I can only dream they would look that good!

    Someone on green fingered says copper is disappointingly subtle. So maybe its a sort of normal persons decent finish. I think I might try it you know. :D

    Now to try and find some. You just know know one in my country would be as brash to try and turn barn doors into hammered copper ones!
  • You don't buy meraingues. They taste like sawdust.

    You make them - it's really, really easy. 2 oz sugar per 1 egg white, and careful not to let any yolk contaminate them.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    You don't buy meraingues. They taste like sawdust.

    You make them - it's really, really easy. 2 oz sugar per 1 egg white, and careful not to let any yolk contaminate them.

    I don't think on will make them. And she said she likes them dry. :D

    I only like them chewy. :D
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2013 at 1:26PM
    Yeah, "only". Posh alert!


    I've never been on a boat, never knew anybody that had one and certainly not able (financially, or capability wise) to take one out myself. I dream of a day when I can have/afford a sit on kayak (off ebay no doubt). I couldn't name one boat from another....

    I've never expended my own cold, hard-earned cash, so it's not that posh (-:

    I've never owned a boat, and not known anyone who has, apart from people who hire / rent them out.

    It's not a particularly expensive hobby, really.

    Edited to add - I think our Paxos holidays were quite pricey - I have a vague memory that my mother said they cost £1,000 per person, for the 6 of us, for a fortnight in the early-to-mid 1990s. they were a lot of fun, though! We're looking for something a bit cheaper, both in £ terms and certainly relative ones.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • I don't think on will make them. And she said she likes them dry. :D

    I only like them chewy. :D

    they keep for absolutely ages in an air-tight box, too.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • Sadly, I need to go and do some work. In court at 2pm, fortunately not too far from here.

    Hope you all have a lovely afternoon and evening, and best to Mrs Gen.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.