We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What level of car breakdown cover do you have?

fort
fort Posts: 26 Forumite
I'm due to renew my cover and I've always gone for the lowest (cheapest) cover, just roadside assistance.

Is it worth spending more and get extra cover?
«1

Comments

  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,266
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    fort wrote: »
    I'm due to renew my cover and I've always gone for the lowest (cheapest) cover, just roadside assistance.

    Is it worth spending more and get extra cover?
    You don't really have to pay more. Autoaid is £39 for fully inclusive cover. Only downside is you have to pay at the time and claim the money back later. Autonational Rescue isn't that much more expensive for at least one year if you aren't happy with that (factoring in 15 months for price of 12 and cashback via TopCashback).

    Personally I'd always want full cover anyway. What would you do if you couldn't start your car on your driveway for instance? If you're confident you could always sort this yourself, or would be happy to pay for a local mechanic to come out then fine. But otherwise home start would seem a good idea...
  • In May I paid for RAC "full house" personal (any vehicle) cover (Roadside, Recovery & At Home) at a cost of £43 using Tesco Clubcard vouchers. Of course not everyone shops at Tesco so would not be able to or want to avail themselves of this.
    Autoaid are probably alright but I would not want to pay up front for their agent's attendance and then have to claim the cost back.
    I would personally, at the least, want Recovery on top of the basic Roadside.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have roadside & recovery, any vehicle, as I have motorcycles, and a puncture can leave you stranded so the 'bike either needs to come home, or be taken to a tyre fitter (and there aren't many that do motorbikes).:eek:

    I don't have homestart or whatever, if I can't start the thing on my drive, I'm not taking it miles away to have it not start again to come back, but I have jumpleads and a battery charger and can change a wheel. ;)

    One thing no-one mentions (presumably because it is blindingly obvious to everyone except me :o) is that breakdown cover is exactly that. If you immobilise the car due to an accident they won't recover you. (As I naively thought!)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As it is only insurance and I'm never out of the house without a mobile and a wallet, it's AutoAid for me. £39 for me and Wife to cover any car we're driving for recovery as well as if they're stolen, seems a bargain to me.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have Green Flag Recovery Plus which is full cover apart from European. At £54.06 less £50.50 cashback, it is pretty good value :)

    Breaking down and getting towed to the nearest garage isn't much use when your car is under warranty.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have full cover including home start, I'm a mechanic so I can sort simple things at home/diagnose them but unless it is something very simple it cannot be rectified without a call out.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Autoaid = roadside assistance, homestart, recovery to destination or home for up to 5 passengers, cover for you and partner for any car.

    All for £39.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,854
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have reasonably good cover as I managed to get a deal on it and my concern was although I may be misunderstanding it, is the limit of ten miles or similar for recovery on many of the lower policies. I've looked at Autoaid as it would suit my use (I haven't had to call for breakdown assistance for many years) but when I wanted to have a second car and person covered, it came out more than the RAC.

    John
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I have reasonably good cover as I managed to get a deal on it and my concern was although I may be misunderstanding it, is the limit of ten miles or similar for recovery on many of the lower policies. I've looked at Autoaid as it would suit my use (I haven't had to call for breakdown assistance for many years) but when I wanted to have a second car and person covered, it came out more than the RAC.

    John

    Really? Autoaid is £39 what did the RAC quote you?

    Autoaid covers you, not a particular car. Whatever car you are driving is covered.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    facade wrote: »
    ........One thing no-one mentions (presumably because it is blindingly obvious to everyone except me :o) is that breakdown cover is exactly that. If you immobilise the car due to an accident they won't recover you. (As I naively thought!)

    accident damaged cars were covered (& recovered) back in the days when the AA were a society run to serve their members (rather than a profit maximising cash cow for some financial asset strippers)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.