We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What level of car breakdown cover do you have?

2»

Comments

  • GolfBravo
    GolfBravo Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    vaio wrote: »
    accident damaged cars were covered (& recovered) back in the days when the AA were a society run to serve their members (rather than a profit maximising cash cow for some financial asset strippers)

    My ADAC (a society run to serve their members) membership covers accident recovery, EU-wide.

    And so does my comprehensive John Lewis insurance policy.
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ADAC has a lot to recommend it, if only they would produce english versions of all their documentation then they'd pick up a lot of business in the UK
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    I used compare the market, decided I liked the figures that Autonational came up with but clicking to move forward showed that the first number quoted was basic, even though all the boxes are ticked. Then went through their website instead and had to answer yes to having a breakdown in the last year and the quote instantly jumped from £66 to £88 grrrrrr. That's not much cheaper than the AA/RAC.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a toolbox*. Does that count?





    * and cars that you can generally fix with a hammer (mechanical) or odd bit of wire (electrical)
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,854
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    scotsbob wrote: »
    Really? Autoaid is £39 what did the RAC quote you?

    Autoaid covers you, not a particular car. Whatever car you are driving is covered.

    They didn't have a policy that would cover a second person that isn't my spouse so adding a second person doubles the price.

    John
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another ADAC customer.
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Roadside and recovery. If I'm in my vehicle, and they can't fix it at the side of the road, they take me home or wherever I want (great because I get all over the place).

    If I'm at work in a customer's car, they will roadside assist.

    I'm not bothered about home start, my vehicles are basic enough that I can mend them with my tools at home, and that they show signs of dying before they do. I've got more than one vehicle, and in the worst case, the parts place is a £1.70 return bus ride away.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 8,617
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have the "Total Superservice" from Autonational Rescue at £66 for the first car, and £33 for the second.

    I have needed the "home start" option twice now. In both cases, it was something that couldn't be fixed on the spot, and needed a tow to the garage. Without the home start, I would have had to pay for that.

    The other downside of the cheapest packages is that if they can't fix it, they just tow you to the nearest garage and dump you there. That's not a lot of use if it's a weekend, the garage is closed, and you're miles from home.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    RAC basic personal cover as my car is too old for car-only cover.
  • cambermam
    cambermam Posts: 787 Forumite
    I've got the RAC roadside, recovery, at home, onward travel. Paid £64 extra on my car insurance (so it's the vehicle that's covered).

    Keep meaning to check if i diddled myself by not buying separately through cashback sites.
    Internet earnings:
    Swagbucks - £748
    InstaGC -£73
    Nielsen Mobile - £70
    Mobile Trends - £19.50
    iPoll - £15
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.