We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

BT Broadband...

Options
right....

i am currently recieveing phoneline rental and broadband with BT! i pay quarterly as i get paid just 4 times a year so its alot easier for me to do it this way.

My last bill was for £95, which means i pay £18 per month for my broadband, and £11 line rental. is this alot?? is there a cheaper ISP that i can use as my area isnt covered by cable, so i have to use the BT phone line obviously. I am on a 5Gb download capknow my download speeds. they say UPTO 8Mb but i think its at 2.2Mbps. am i getting my moneys worth? or should i change ISP? i Hear talktalk do phoneline and broadband packages for about £20 per month? is this right?

Also...

I have been looking on the BT website for the rules of changing ISP but cant seem to find anything, so if i was to find a cheaper deal with a different ISP, would BT charge me for changing from them to someone else?

all help much appreciated, cheers :beer:

Comments

• Drunkstar
    Drunkstar Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    To chaqnge you need to find a provider and then ask BT for a MAC code, give the MAC to the new provider and they will switch.

Are you out of contract with your BB? If so ring 0800800880, take option 2 and you get to the COT team. They can give you a discount on your BB so its £13.99 a month.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 2
  • danlaaa
    danlaaa Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    i am not out of contract with BT. im unsure when it runs out i will have to find out. as you're a BT customer service agent, then could u tell me how much i would be charged by BT if i was leave my contract now??
  • louisehj
    louisehj Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, you will be charged for your broadband for the remainder of the contract so if you have 6 months left it would be 6 x £18. HTH. Louise
    Back on slimming world after my second baby!!
    Lost 2 st 12 lbs after my first!
    Weight loss to date - 1 st
  • doberryfirkin
    doberryfirkin Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    Danlaa
    I am in the same boat and have been looking around. Whilst TalkTalk always comes out cheapest I am afraid the customer service reputation baggage they carry always puts me off. Have a look at this guide from MSE...
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#cheapest
    On phones have a look at this most excellent post from Heinz
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1598074&postcount=4

Good luck
    D
  • danlaaa
    Options
    i dont actually use the phoneline for calls, i dnt have a home phone as i have a mobile, i only use it for the BB connection! i just feel im paying far too much for my BB anyone else agree with me??
  • SparciaM
    SparciaM Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    I have BT Broadband but contract ends in July so can switch.

If you have Orange mobile, u can get BB for free from them, or you can go down the Sky route. I'm switching from BT to Sky as will save me over £20pm as will share the cost with my housemates. BT is VERY expensive. I pay £35pm for BB and line rental and think it's a disgusting price. If you live in a cable area you can have Virgin Media BB for £10pm for life - AND NO LINE RENTAL - A bargain espicially at the speeds they do.

There are better companies out there, which are cheaper or same as BT and offer better service etc. If you do a search of ISPs you'll find one that is same price as BT, but no download cap and unlimited calls as well, but can't remember the name.

Face it, BT are competitive anymore since everyone else used up the exchanges or offered cheaper BB as part of "bigger packages"
  • danlaaa
    Options
    i couldnt use orange around here if i wanted to lol! the mobile network signal is ridiculously c**p lol!! i spoke to a friend the other day and he didnt have anything nice to say about talktalk's BB. he said the broadband wasnt really that bad but the customer services is really bad! they keep u on the phone for ages. he said they kept him waitin on the line for over an hour only to be told by a robot an hour later that the offices are now closed lol! but they still charged him for the call i bet!

i dont know what im going to do, id go with virgin but my area isnt cable enabled! i thought about sky, but again...the customer services is meant to be really bad. at least with BT they have a freephone number, dnt know if sky do, but im not really interested in sky TV to be honest, so it looks like il be sayin with BT for the long haul lol. but thanks guys for ur opinions, they mean alot :)
  • peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tiscali have brought out an option which for £20 pm gives unlimited download free anytime calls and free line rental. I phoned them yesterday but unfortunately its not yet available in my area. Might be worthgiving them a try.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport