We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great 'How much should you pay for common car repairs' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Battleaxe44
    Options

To the lady who runs a Silver Ghost: 3 years for £1500? You've been very lucky. Prepare for more. Are you adhering to the manufacturer's services schedules?

We certainly are adhering to the service schedules, next service will cost £250.00. SG just back from pre MOT check, nothing needed doing, so MOT was done and she is OK for another twelve months. Considering it is run up the A14 everyday. We look at it this way, she is quality, we use her like a normal car and we look after her, so if you see two OAP, and the SG , one a Hobbit, it is us. :rotfl:
  • Mal25
    Mal25 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    As many have already said this is almost impossible to do as the repair cost will depend on so many different factors. On tyres though I can definitely recommend blackcircle.com. You order on the internet and then they send you to a local fitter - you can check where they are sending you before you place the order. You should certainly include these when you're comparing prices for tyres. The only slightly different thing is you pay when you place the order so make sure you pay with a credit card; they've been around for a while now so no reason to think they're going to suddenly go bust but always best to play safe.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    While a noble idea, it really isn't going to work. You would need a colossal matrix with only a few items for comparison to be of any value. That unfortunately isn't realistic when labour costs have such a wide geographical range and even models of the same base car vary enormously in engine size and type. Internet search for symptoms, access make specific forum, then minimum of three quotes armed with baseline information is the only generic way to go.
  • oldnewhand
    oldnewhand Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Normally one for equality I have to admit I send my husband with my car to the garage because I feel my age and gender (and the fact I never did get round to doing that DIY car maintenance course) are against me. If I HAVE to take it in myself I talk to my son first who did get some city and guilds mechanics exams before his course when bust. Sticking with a trusted garage is another option but you still need to be cautious. In essence the idea here is sound if a little impractical. Hourly rates would be interesting to compare.
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MSE_Rose wrote: »
    A study's found quoting a price to car mechanics can stop women getting duped over garage repair costs (source: Times). We want to tap MoneySavers' experience for how much you've paid for tyres, servicing, oil changes and more, to help others know how much is too much.
    I would suggest that rather than trying to collate a list of typical prices and then 'quoting a price to a car mechanic', the best advice for all motorists would be simply to always get quotes for any work from more than one garage.
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    To the lady who runs a Silver Ghost: 3 years for £1500? You've been very lucky. Prepare for more. Are you adhering to the manufacturer's services schedules?
    They run a car CALLED "Silver Ghost". I very much doubt that it IS a Silver ghost!
    And it turned out to be spark plugs. They tried to charge me £140 to change them (no discount for doing the wasted works) so I called my old garage, who quoted £90 :mad: it does them no favours - have met quite a few new people to the area, and when asked where I get my car fixed, I tell them these guys are cowboys.
    Strider590 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

The first price is a complete joke, the second price is about £50 too much.

I did my own spark plugs for about £20 and they were some sort of fancy pants Bosch "Super 4" plugs.
    Again though, it depends:
    To change the Spark plugs on my car, you have to lift the intake manifold off (it sits over the middle of the V6 and blocks access to all 6 Spark Plugs). For this reason, the manufacturers specification is Platinum Spark Plugs that come in at £100 for the set of 6. It's a 60,000 mile interval on them! You do them the same time as the cambelt.

If someone offered to change my 6 sparkplugs with the correct type, I'd be very happy to let them.

Also, i win: 6 NGK's for my BMW for £13ish from a motorfactor, plus half an hour to change them myself. That's MSE!

Just another reason this thread can't work!
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Which BMW V6?
  • Battleaxe44
    Options
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    They run a car CALLED "Silver Ghost". I very much doubt that it IS a Silver ghost!

Let me clarify. The Silver Ghost is not the 1912 Roller (sigh)

It is a BMW with a very large engine, leather upholstery and a beautiful interior finish and she is silver. We decided to go for this car because overall the running costs are very low and it will be our last car barring any unfortunate happenings. It was a toss up between this car or a Jag. :rotfl:. the Hobbit had very bad driving habits, a wanna be white van driver and I had to bully him into this car for my own sanity. The only way we could afford it was to buy it second hand, and yes we paid cash for it. No HP for the Hobbits...:T This car and our wonderful mechanic have cured the Hobbit of his need for aggression on the road. Fuel now costs £30.00 a week against the £70.00 he used to help SG guzzle, he has removed the lead from his accelerator foot and learned not everyone on the road is a fool...I have threatened to put him on an advanced safety drivers course if he didn't change his habits. Nothing worse than a scream old Battleaxe telling to slow down and he doesn't have to overtake every other car on the road...
  • Sensible_Jess
    Options
    If you know something needs replacing then use-

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Put your reg in and it will give you an idea of how much the parts can cost then when you get a price from the garage you will be able to work out how much they are quoting for labour.

Sadly, I looked at this site and ordered parts for next day delivery on 31st July. The parts are STILL not here today.
    Their website is down, I've tried phoning and been left on hold for over 30 minutes.

Looks like my experience is not unusual..
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews151231.html

I've gone elsewhere for the parts and will refuse the delivery when it comes and demand a refund. Bad customer service.....
    Penny: I'm a little low on cash.
    Leonard: How much you got?
    Penny: Nothing!
    Leonard: How can you walk around with no money?
    Penny: I'm cute, I get by.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sadly, I looked at this site and ordered parts for next day delivery on 31st July. The parts are STILL not here today.
    Their website is down, I've tried phoning and been left on hold for over 30 minutes.

Looks like my experience is not unusual..
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews151231.html

I've gone elsewhere for the parts and will refuse the delivery when it comes and demand a refund. Bad customer service.....

You are only using them as a price guide Jess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport