Real-life MMD: Should I pay fixed contribution for teacher's gift?

Options

Comments

• wishfire
    wishfire Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    I'm gonna join the many fellow teachers on the board and say that it is disgusting!

Having a child say thank you if enough to make a teacher's day, a card would be more than is expected....if that is not enough for you, you don't deserve anything, let alone a whole metric boatload of vouchers/money!

Does the head teacher know about this? I would report the attitude (and reply) of the teacher and if they head doesn't seem disgusted enough, I would go to the education authority/ofsted whoever is more appropriate for the specific school.

It's sad that the child is being affected by it to the point of wanting to spend his own pocket money....that "teacher" should be ashamed!
  • justme57
    Options
    I have been in education for longer than I care to admit, and quite frankly, I find the whole situation quite disgusting. The local council where I work from would deem this behaviour as committing gross professional misconduct and would, I imagine, be grounds for instant dismissal. The teacher/headteacher has missed his/her vocation, and should don a facemask and change their name by deed poll to !!!!!! Turpin!
  • katecheshire
    Options
    Actually I had a letter from my daughter's primary school head asking for a donation for a 'gift for the school' from the outgoing year 6. This was about 20 years ago and I seem to recall thinking that the amount 'requested' was quite high. I felt that I had donated quite a lot of time and money to the school with 5 years on PTA. The HT was rather a snob and didn't have much time for single (divorced) parents like me - except when he wanted a favour. I thought 'you can whistle for your donation!'
  • Sarahcat
    Sarahcat Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    As yet another retired teacher I cannot believe much that is (or isn't) happening in the education system today!

But this absolutely takes first prize!

I loved the little gifts I used to receive at the end of the school year from a few-certainly not all-of my junior pupils-a cat on a keyring, a box of chocs and such like but to even imagine that each pupil in a class of 30+ pupils should give £25 is outrageous!

My only questions would be is it a private school and an 'upmarket' area where this could be seen as the norm? :mad:

No child should be put in such a position and I too would seriously wonder whether this is the school in which you wish your child to continue their education and learn such values.

I do feel for you-what a terrible predicament to be in.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Professora
    Options
    As a junior school teacher I think it is outrageous that you are expected to pay £25 towards a gift! If a parent decides to give me something at the end of the year I am very grateful. I have received some very touching gifts over the years including many homemade by the child. I am sure that you are not the only parent who thinks it is excessive so make a stand. I know it's difficult for your child but if you canvassed other parents I'm sure you could make a change.
    Good luck!
  • dickavis
    dickavis Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    As an ex-Chair of Governors at a primary school, I find the idea of a formal collection organised by the school almost too much to believe. Given some of the problems I've had recently (nothing to do with school) I supposed nothing should surprise me. I suggest that you raise this with whoever contacted you or your child regarding this. Make your feelings known and tell them what if any donation you are prepared to make. If you can't resolve the matter then the next step is to go to the Governing Body. If yoiu still don't get satisfaction then there is a higher authority, but as it's a few years since I was involved with any school, I can't remember what that would be. Your Chair of Governors will tell you. If hear of any other parents with similar views you may wish to tell them how you are dealing with the situation, but you should avoid any temptation to start any sort of campaign, or to go to the media. Feel free to use the word extortion in any correspondence. Good luck.
  • polgara18
    Options
    This is appalling. Your poor child feeling guilty for not funding the teacher's home makeover is shocking.

I generally don't do presents - well, nothing elaborate anyway (this year it was a little wooden heart on a wire with 'best teacher' on and a highly decorated card). £25 is more than many parents give for school fund.:eek:

I am horrified.
  • Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 August 2013 at 12:32PM
    Options
    No I wouldn't pay either! The most I've ever spent on a teacher is £10 and even then it was stickers for class (because I knew she would use them and was paying for them out of her own money).

I think it's appalling that the school is dictating the amount (if any) that should be donated.
  • bob45
    bob45 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Nice one if you can it, but £25 from a hard pressed family budget is a bit much. No £5 should be enough, perhaps a tenner if you feel the teacher in question has gone the extra mile. Vouchers to the same value is OK if you wish the Inland Revenue to keep off the back of the teacher. Whatever method & contribution is agreed it should be voluntary.
  • fudgecat
    fudgecat Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am a teacher and it is lovely when parents club together and ask the teacher what they would like. Obviously our job is paid and vocational, but it is nice that parents are responding to the many hours and tasks that teachers do which are well above the call of duty (which is pretty much every day!).
    That said, there should be no requirement to contribute by any parent and I am frankly appalled that there would be any minimum contribution set. The sum of £25.00 is ludicrously high for most families - even in the private sector I would see that sum as too high. I wonder if the teacher that was approached had any idea that this was the sum being proposed?
    I was offered the chance to have a designer handbag one year (I was astonished that priced start at about £350.00) and very quickly told the parents that I would prefer a donation to the school`s chosen charity for that term.
    Designer handbag? I`m a Sainsbury`s carrier bag kind of girl... Anyway, I`m not THAT good!:D
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure