MSE News: Amazon scraps some free deliveries – but you can beat the charges

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
31 replies 6.3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
"Amazon has scrapped its free 'super saver' delivery on certain items, but there are ways to avoid the new charge..."
Read the full story:

Amazon scraps some free deliveries – but you can beat the charges

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• blueghostblueghost Forumite
    281 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    probably a bug but you can order your non-qualified item with a cheap cd to qualify for free delivery and then quickly cancel the cd from the order. the order will remain as free delivery

worked for me a few hrs ago.
  • OblivionOblivion Forumite
    20.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have ordered several under-£10 items on the 19th July using the free delivery option (this is before Amazon announced the changes) and they are only just today, 5 days later, showing as dispatched.

It seems to me that they are deliberately slowing down current dispatches to cajole customers into buying into Prime. Cynical or what?

Well they can wave goodbye to my custom ... I'll shop elsewhere online and I hope many others will do the same.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    This is a silly idea. Or, rather, it is a pity that it is limited to those lines. Films, albums and books should also be included in the caveat. It's a funny old world when you can walk into a high street HMV and purchase a Blu-ray for less than it's available on Amazon.

I understand the knee-jerk "waah! I don't want to pay postal charges" but think for more than a second and it is a silly reaction.
  • consumers_revengeconsumers_revenge Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally think they've dropped a b.llock here.

Means rather than going for Amazon automatically I would probably make a much wider search....
  • Dave_saveDave_save Forumite
    351 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I cancelled my account with Amazon sometime ago, as a protest against their tax avoidance systems. Last year its corporation tax bill was just £2.44m – less than the £2.5m it received from the Scottish Government in inducements to build a new distribution warehouse in Dunfermline. I drew a parallel here with Amazon's tax avoidance measures. They don't want to pay taxes, and I don't want to pay for postage and delivery.
  • artichiartichi Forumite
    25 Posts
    MSE Marcel: Reading your article on MSE news, I was slightly disappointed by the £3.99 HDMI cable example of delivery costing "up to £14.99". Next day evening delivery is simply not comparable to the Super Saver Delivery option that has been changed and not relevant when there is a first class option.

This sort of sensational reporting should be left for the Daily Mail in my humble opinion, and it distracts from what was otherwise a very useful informative article.

Interesting point on HMV pricing above. I've often thought it was only a matter of time that Amazon would show it's true colours. With Play.com out the picture (market place only) and other players like The Hut seemingly given up trying to compete, I've noticed the price of older catalogue stuff on Amazon creaping up in some cases to RRP.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply means that amazon won't be my first stop shop and will lost my custom if they are too expensive when including p&p - not all my Xmas presents will be delivered in Amazon boxes this year then. Muppets.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• gjs1701gjs1701 Forumite
    154 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    It was only a few years ago they had minimum order value for free postage.
  • FreebymanFreebyman Forumite
    591 Posts
    Quite simple, shop elsewhere. However I dont think they will be losing any sleep about losing all the small orders.
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • edited 25 July 2013 at 6:06AM
    Marigold123Marigold123 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2013 at 6:06AM
    A question. The article states, "Amazon says any order which includes a book, DVD, Blu-ray, music item or video game will get free delivery."

Does this also apply to orders including items from Amazon Marketplace sellers? Until now they've always had their own scale of charges, and you can easily be charged two, three or more sets of delivery costs for the same order if you buy from different merchants. Has this now changed? If not, this article needs amending.

Thanks.
    A penny saved is a penny gained
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides