Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

in Debt-Free Wannabe
859 replies 539.1K views

Replies

• once you have boiled the water in your kettle.Pour the excess into a large clean thermos flask which saves continually putting the kettle on.
  • 2) Get rid of your TV! I haven't had a TV for 2 and a half years now, and as I don't see anything like as many ads, I don't lust after 'amazing' products that are being marketed, as they're not being marketed to me! Stuff like smelly spray to put in the iron, and other 'innovations' that we've lived for long enough without, just don't appeal to me without the hard sell coming into my house. I obviously still see billboards and such, but it's a lot less powerful and insidious.

Forgot to say also, having no TV saves you the £10 a month (or whatever it is!) for your TV Licence...
  • headchefheadchef Forumite
    178 Posts
    If you have a dog, buy huge packs of dog meal from pet stores (cheaper than supermarkets).
    Supplement with proper food, not tinned dog food! Tinned dog foods contain huge amounts of ash and very little meat. Value tinned tuna from Tesco is about 36p each So it's cheaper and more nutricious (spelling?).
    Buy whole chickens and pick off the left over meat and gristle (dog loves it - urgh).
    Dogs can eat rice and pasta - save any leftovers for them. Watching them eat spaghetti is very entertaining!
    Keep a container in the fridge to store any leftovers for them. I mean quality leftovers like bits of meat, fish, etc. Not chicken nuggets - I no longer buy those for children and woudln't give them to my dog.
    Also be aware, just as you would with feeding yourself, of use by dates and length of food storage and things. Dogs can get ill thorugh bad food too.
    £16,500 in debt.
    New debt free date: 2015 (was 2046!!).
    Thanks MSE for helping me budget and therefore increase payments from £30 per month to £150
  • Midget_KarenMidget_Karen Forumite
    127 Posts
    Instead of boiling a full kettle, just boil the amount of water you need
    (as long as it's over the minimum level, of course)
    Proud to have become an Ocean Rower in 2010 (crossed the Atlantic in a crew of 4 ladies and had the best 77 days of my life!)
  • suzannasuzanna Forumite
    126 Posts
    I have overseas students in the summer, i have 2 sets of bunk beds in my spare room and make about £760.00 per group of 4 students for 3 weeks! if you have a couple of groups it makes a nice sum of money for not too much hassle.
  • jimmy_mumujimmy_mumu Forumite
    108 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    what options are open to people on income support and the like, looks like i'm on it for life now not by my choice but due to illness, i'm deeply in debt and don't know what to do
  • SidB_2SidB_2 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    headchef wrote:
    Value tinned tuna from Tesco is about 36p each So it's cheaper and more nutricious
    Hmmm. Nice smelling dog ?
    Every silver lining has a cloud...

Feb 2009 - Won a pole dancing lesson - Too bad I'm a 45-year old beer gutted male !!
  • mrsmab59mrsmab59 Forumite
    166 Posts
    jimmy_mumu wrote:
    what options are open to people on income support and the like, looks like i'm on it for life now not by my choice but due to illness, i'm deeply in debt and don't know what to do
    You might find some help by clicking HERE or HERE, have a read through some of the threads already started, or start a new thread yourself with some specific questions and someone may be able to help you. Good luck :)
    Use words that are soft and sweet in case you have to eat them.
  • christabellchristabell Forumite
    427 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    The Aldi Lasagne is a great buy, tart it up a little by adding more cheese to the toping before baking.
    The YOU & YOURS team on BBC Radio 4 recently allocated a part of their programme about Aldi/Lidl & Aldi stores. The German people use these stores to "give themselves a payrise" by paying less for your shopping there's more in your purse!
    Today, my BEST is good enough.
  • Lydia.42Lydia.42 Forumite
    384 Posts
    Tesco's accept money off vouchers/coupons for products they sell, even if you haven't bought the item. I regularly rummage through friend's/relative's magazines and collect the 10p off muller yoghurts, 20p off brands of butter i never even use, etc and trade them in when i do my shopping. So long as you buy a number of items, and don't try and use lots of the same type of voucher in one go, the check-out staff wont even bat an eye-lid. I normally get a couple of quid off my shop each time i go. :rotfl:
    What's he building in there???
    Debt at highest £30,450 (Dec 05)
    Debt at lowest £9, 113 (Jul 07)
    How much did we over spend whilst on maternity leave :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News