PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had to go to Asda today to return one of the storage jars I bought as the lid was broken. Got reduced cherry tomatoes at 50p I bought 6 packs as want to do my own sundried,
    also got 5 packs of 500g prepared carrots and swede for the freezer at 20p a pack.
    So a 4.00 spendd today.
    Slimming World at target
  • kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    dinner tonight is chilli which will last tomorrow aswel.
    taking my youngest to a play area to meet up with my cousin and her little girl so that means we will be eating there for lunch, will save receipt for later
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 September 2013 at 7:21AM
    Options
    Yesterdays shop came to £15.71 which makes totals - wk £18.07/£35 (food 18.07, other 0.00) month 100.86/140

I managed to get some of those 20p mincemeat jars everyone is talking about, I brought two, did think about getting a couple more but could only think of making mince pies and there is only so many of those you can eat.

Yesterday before I went to the shop I looked online and worked out how much my list came to. I did feel like I had turned into a bit of a sad nutter when I was doing it, but it really helped, every time I was tempted to buy something that wasn't on the list I just reminded myself that if I stick to the list my spend will only be xxxx. The only bits I brought that weren't on the list were YS items, and the 20p mincemeat, which is an achievement for me :)

Advise needed pls Where does everyone store their potatoes? I brought a big bag as it is more economical but will only be using them for one meal this week, where is best to leave them so they keep (and how long should they be ok for)? Thanks
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    This was delicious. I used sweet potato, omitted white and used tinned chopped tomatoes. A bit of beef gravy from yesterday's tea added to veg stock, coriander as had no oregano and season all instead of all spice. Everything else was the same. I left it all in the slow cooker for four hours on high and it was beautiful.

Yaaayy!! A success!! I had mine last night with a dollop of Greek yogurt! Seems to be my new thing to add it to whatever I can!!

Glad it worked out :j
    RC x
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • fozziebeartoo
    Options
    Mincemeat stirred through a muffin mixture is gorgeous and worth a try! :D

In fact I used all my cheap jars of mincemat (bought just after last Christmas) making them!!

Need more now.....:rotfl:

Yesterdays shop came to £15.71 which makes totals - wk £18.07/£35 (food 18.07, other 0.00) month 100.86/140

I managed to get some of those 20p mincemeat jars everyone is talking about, I brought two, did think about getting a couple more but could only think of making mince pies and there is only so many of those you can eat.

Yesterday before I went to the shop I looked online and worked out how much my list came to. I did feel like I had turned into a bit of a sad nutter when I was doing it, but it really helped, every time I was tempted to buy something that wasn't on the list I just reminded myself that if I stick to the list my spend will only be xxxx. The only bits I brought that weren't on the list were YS items, and the 20p mincemeat, which is an achievement for me :)

Advise needed pls Where does everyone store their potatoes? I brought a big bag as it is more economical but will only be using them for one meal this week, where is best to leave them so they keep (and how long should they be ok for)? Thanks
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Have mostly been mia from the GC since my last post...just calling this month a write off now! Good thing our October budget starts in a week!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • K9sandFelines
    Options

Where from Kayester?
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 18 September 2013 at 11:40AM
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Yaaayy!! A success!! I had mine last night with a dollop of Greek yogurt! Seems to be my new thing to add it to whatever I can!!

Glad it worked out :j
    RC x

Oh yes, definitely. Also got a big tub for the freezer, and i had more than my fair share yesterday, as the kids won't eat this type of thing. It made loads!
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Where from Kayester?

Mr T, its the robertsons mincemeat. Temped to go back for some more but unfortunately I don't have a lot of cupboard space to store stuff.
  • Florenceem
    Options
    My big Mr T had 2 lots of Mincemeat on the bottom shelf. Took 5 jars to self service till - was £1.18 so had that item removed from my shopping and left assistant to take the jars back. Tried a smaller Mr T yesterday - nope.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3,129 May - 132/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £23.52/£100 NSD - 94
    2024 Craft Makes - 229 Craft Spends 2024 £344.41/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts