BT Infinity Customer Support Useless

Options
I have been a BT customer for 30 years and have had internet with them through dial up, broadnband and I recently decided to upgradxe to infinity.

I work away most days every week so I needed to arrange an appointment well in advance to ensure getting a days holiday. I booked for yesterday 8.00 - 1.00 and waited patiently. As I had received no phone call as promised I called BT Customer support who assured me that the engineer was on track and would be there before 1.00.
1.00 came and went, I didnt receive any call to tell me they would be late or that they couldnt come , so at 1.30 I called BT support again only to be told that the engineer was delayed and would only call later, I was asked to hang on while they got a definite time. After waiting until around 2.00 the assistand kindly informed me that they would not be coming as they had booked too many jobs for the engineer and he had cancelled my job. Of course having waited in all day and wasted a holiday I was furious so I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor was very polite and apologetic and said that the engineering team had admiited responsibility as they would fast track my appointment within the next 24-48 hours and I wouldnt need to wait around as I could demand a first appointment as it was their liability. He said that he had escalted the issue and I would receive a call from the engineering team.
5 minutes later true to his word the engineering team called me but told me they would come this saturday (tomorrow) but I would need to wait again between 8.00 and 1000, I told them " Sorry but I am not waiting again I want a first appointment as per your BT retail supervisor" They said to me that he was wrong to promise that and I would need to wait. I asked to complain to a manager but was told rather abruptly if I wasnt happy to go back to BT Retail.

I went back to BT retail and spoke to what seemed to be a very helpful guy called Sunny, he apologized again and said that I was totally in order to ask for an early appointment and waht was the latest time I wanted to wait in, I told him 10.00AM. He said that was quite OK and he would 100% personally guarantee an engineer would be with me before 10.00AM, he gave me a reference number to quote in the unlikely event of a problem and offered me a compensation of 1 month subscription. He said that I would receive a call today to confirm.

I received no call upto 5.00 PM so I called in once more, after another 30 minutes on the phone I was told that the engineer had still not resolved the problem on the exchange and would not be coming tomorrow!!!. I said that there had been no talk of any problem on the exchange and went through all of the previous communications and gave the reference number , the assistant was very rude and said that he did not recognize the reference number, and I would just need to wait until monday for a call as the engineeers do not work on saturday. This was a total lie. I asked once more to speak to his manager and he told me to stay by my phone as the manager would call before 8.00PM. I waited and waited and still I received no call.
This is just totally pathetic customer service and I am sure that those people in India are just paid to fob you off. I am now strongly thinking of switching to Sky as they have never let me down with their satellite service and at least you can talk to someone in the UK.

Is there anyone that regulates this who you can complain to or anyone in the UK who you can call???? Overall this is very poor service from BT

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you do switch to Sky FTTC, then it will still be the same BT OR engineer who fixes (or doesn't fix) your line. It's just a resold BT Wholesale service.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    You're not alone in having a no-show fibre install. The BT community forum was full of similar tales last year when I checked after my own no-show. Blame the useless Ofcom for how the terminally useless Openreach was set up. My own experience - http://www.idontbelieveit.me.uk/openreach-the-unaccountable-monopoly/
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Harks back to the good old days when British Telecom was a state monopoly and condescended to provide you with a phone in any colour you liked providing it was Stone, in their own sweet time. The attitude persists.
    We made the Mickey Mouse phone for them, seems appropriate.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are not a lot of the Openreach installers subcontractors .

jje
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2013 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Indeed, hopefully its not the Telent ones missing appointments.

Telent is all that is left the British Telecom manufacturing industry. Plessey, GEC, GPT and finally Marconi which was wrecked by the actions of Lord (sweaty) George Simpson, and his finance director John Mayo.
    Georges other claim to fame was that he flogged off British Leyland to BWM for £10.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • kpatrick
    Options
    I am having similar problems with BT. I have just upgraded my Infinity as I have been getting charged extra for going over my limit; misleading name alert here!!! Also, we have had regular difficulties with their service and customer service is very poor. Similar to problems at Talk Talk. To add insult to injury, because I have just made a new order, they are saying if I cancel I need to pay £176 for the privalegde. Is this fair and legal? I am sure it will be in the small print, but really. Their service is expensive and crap. Any help. tips or advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.
    KP:(
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, perfectly fair and legal. You agreed a new minimum term contract for FTTC, so a steep ETC will apply if you want to cancel now..
    Ask for a credit for the downtime, that's all you get under a residential contract. There is no SLA.
    PS: Why upgrade with BT if you know its expensive? Plenty of cheaper FTTC providers are available, Plusnet or Sky being the obvious ones.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    kpatrick wrote: »
    I have been getting charged extra for going over my limit; misleading name alert here!!!

Depending on which Infinity package you have, there may well be a monthly usage cap, and if you go over then yes, they will charge you.
  • bubblegun
    bubblegun Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2013 at 1:47AM
    Options
    milovisk wrote: »
    I have been a BT customer for 30 years and have had internet with them through dial up, broadnband and I recently decided to upgradxe to infinity.

I work away most days every week so I needed to arrange an appointment well in advance to ensure getting a days holiday. I booked for yesterday 8.00 - 1.00 and waited patiently. As I had received no phone call as promised I called BT Customer support who assured me that the engineer was on track and would be there before 1.00.
    1.00 came and went, I didnt receive any call to tell me they would be late or that they couldnt come , so at 1.30 I called BT support again only to be told that the engineer was delayed and would only call later, I was asked to hang on while they got a definite time. After waiting until around 2.00 the assistand kindly informed me that they would not be coming as they had booked too many jobs for the engineer and he had cancelled my job. Of course having waited in all day and wasted a holiday I was furious so I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor was very polite and apologetic and said that the engineering team had admiited responsibility as they would fast track my appointment within the next 24-48 hours and I wouldnt need to wait around as I could demand a first appointment as it was their liability. He said that he had escalted the issue and I would receive a call from the engineering team.
    5 minutes later true to his word the engineering team called me but told me they would come this saturday (tomorrow) but I would need to wait again between 8.00 and 1000, I told them " Sorry but I am not waiting again I want a first appointment as per your BT retail supervisor" They said to me that he was wrong to promise that and I would need to wait. I asked to complain to a manager but was told rather abruptly if I wasnt happy to go back to BT Retail.

I went back to BT retail and spoke to what seemed to be a very helpful guy called Sunny, he apologized again and said that I was totally in order to ask for an early appointment and waht was the latest time I wanted to wait in, I told him 10.00AM. He said that was quite OK and he would 100% personally guarantee an engineer would be with me before 10.00AM, he gave me a reference number to quote in the unlikely event of a problem and offered me a compensation of 1 month subscription. He said that I would receive a call today to confirm.

I received no call upto 5.00 PM so I called in once more, after another 30 minutes on the phone I was told that the engineer had still not resolved the problem on the exchange and would not be coming tomorrow!!!. I said that there had been no talk of any problem on the exchange and went through all of the previous communications and gave the reference number , the assistant was very rude and said that he did not recognize the reference number, and I would just need to wait until monday for a call as the engineeers do not work on saturday. This was a total lie. I asked once more to speak to his manager and he told me to stay by my phone as the manager would call before 8.00PM. I waited and waited and still I received no call.
    This is just totally pathetic customer service and I am sure that those people in India are just paid to fob you off. I am now strongly thinking of switching to Sky as they have never let me down with their satellite service and at least you can talk to someone in the UK.

Is there anyone that regulates this who you can complain to or anyone in the UK who you can call???? Overall this is very poor service from BT

Sorry, absolutely no help to you, but it is "nice" to hear of Openreach engineers giving a bad service to BT customers instead of just all the other providers who have to use their services. They really are a terrible company, it seems as if when an engineer decides to not go to a job you have to go the back of the queue again for another visit.

Sorry to OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport