We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Heatwave leaves sweltering shoppers struggling with fan shortage

Options
"Temperatures have soared this week, but MoneySavingExpert.com has found many retailers have sold out of fans..."
Read the full story:

Heatwave leaves sweltering shoppers struggling with fan shortage

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• fionajbanana
    fionajbanana Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Options
    Buy them in the winter! I bought this one from S=Asda in May 2006 and I paid £32. It was during a period of miserable weather and 2 months later - it was used every day for 10 days.

Its not just fans that in short supply - paddling pools. My friend works in a large supermarket and they normally have 3 different ones and never had them replenished. Customers are shouting at my friend and colleagues about the lack of fans and paddling pools!
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2013 at 10:32AM
    Options
    Asda won't give us any information as it deems the issue to be "not important enough".
    Lol - I agree :D
    Sainsbury - "We never discuss stock levels of any product as this is commercially sensitive."
    Lol -it seems Sainsbury also agree, but at least Asda were honest and upfront about the request. :)
    Argos - Only one single fan in stock out of 10 local stores. Can't check nationwide availability.
    Yes you can! Use this:
    http://icheckstock.co.uk/ :)

But you can't really trust the argos local stock levels online - you need to go and check with the store direct.
    e.g I was looking at an item on display at Argos yesterday (not a fan). Their in store checker said they had one available on the shop floor display.
    Online it says none available. But it's still on display and available to sell in store ;)

When you check, you presumably will pass a Tesco store or two, perhaps you could update us on stock levels there. Always like to know the stock levels in various stores around Sheppy Bush ;)
    (Don't bother with Tesco Express stores - you're unlikley to find any available there)

By the way, our local tesco stores were putting out their back to school range of kids clothes last week. Buy now or miss out!
    Kiddies go back to school in just 6-7 weeks time :rotfl:
  • hanlou007
    hanlou007 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Few weeks they will have loads.....so dont panic ;)
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Buy them in the winter! I bought this one from S=Asda in May 2006 and I paid £32. It was during a period of miserable weather and 2 months later - it was used every day for 10 days.

Your link doesn't work. Do you mean one of THESE?
    Same old same old since 2008

• sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a couple of tower fans this week, including one from Viking which was delivered the next day. (The other was from a local shop)
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll bet the Dyson fans are still in stock £199 and up!

I have two fan heaters packed away, which will blow air just fine,
    but I haven't unpacked them yet, because it's NOT THAT HOT.

What a bunch of moaning ninnies.
    When it's cold, can't wait to go somewhere hot.
    Now that it's hot enough, can't take the heat.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought a load of fans for £15 from Homebase and have been knocking them out for £20. Loving market economics and sunshine!
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hanlou007 wrote: »
    Few weeks they will have loads.....so dont panic ;)

And in a few weeks it will be cold, so what use is that?
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    zenseeker wrote: »
    And in a few weeks it will be cold, so what use is that?

I see irony is lost on some people.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand why people don't have fans already. It's not like we've never had hot weather before.

I have four fans. Granted, I haven't had to use them much in the last couple of years but I knew they would be used again some day!

The hot weather has caught me out in some respects though. I cannot find a decent pair of cropped trousers for love nor money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure