Going to Church for the first time? Christian forums?

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this really, hope this is the right place...

Can anyone recommend a UK based Christian forum? Something has happened to me which makes me want to start going to Church. I've never been before, apart from a handful of Christenings, and I would feel odd just walking in so would like to start off by talking to other Christians. I don't even know the difference between the types of Christianity but I feel an overwhelming urge to go to Chrurch after my experience.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• mumlady1
    mumlady1 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    Hi steeleframedhouse
    I'm sorry I don't know any Christian forums for you but I just want to wish you luck with your Christian journey :) Please don't feel awkward about just walking into a church, most of them are very friendly & welcoming. One piece of advice I will give you is this, not all churches or ministers are the same so you may need to visit a few before you find the one that suits you best :) It might help too, to have a chat with the minister/priest/rabbi. They'll be more than happy to help you.
    Good luck & I hope you find a great church very soon
  • **professor~yaffle**
    Options
    Everyone is different, what sort of church service appeals to you? Evangelical, or more 'high church'? Hopefully someone will be along to advise re. Christian forums, I'm sure there must be loads out there.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    mumlady1 wrote: »
    Hi steeleframedhouse
    I'm sorry I don't know any Christian forums for you but I just want to wish you luck with your Christian journey :) Please don't feel awkward about just walking into a church, most of them are very friendly & welcoming. One piece of advice I will give you is this, not all churches or ministers are the same so you may need to visit a few before you find the one that suits you best :) It might help too, to have a chat with the minister/priest/rabbi. They'll be more than happy to help you.
    Good luck & I hope you find a great church very soon

Agree here, although I don't think she'll find a Rabbi. :o

At this time of year especially churches will have lots of visitors with it being the holiday season.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Have you looked at http://www.alpha.org/?

Great starting point.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • steelframedhouse
    Options
    Everyone is different, what sort of church service appeals to you? Evangelical, or more 'high church'? Hopefully someone will be along to advise re. Christian forums, I'm sure there must be loads out there.

I don't even know what the difference is between evangelical or high churches :o I just clicked on the Alpha link (thanks fluffnutter) and the churches in my area are: Ecumenical, Independent, Anglican, Methodist, Evangelical, Baptist, Vineyard, Non-Denominational and Other - I have no idea what the differences would be which is why I thought it might be an idea to find a Christian forum first.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The different denominations believe slightly (or not so slightly ) different things. And then they express these things in different ways.

So, for example, do you want to go to a church where there is a formal, more quiet and formal down service, with a few standup hymns? Or does a more expressive loud singy type experience feel more how you feel drawn to visit church?

Do you have an opinion on whether men or women lead your service, or have a place in the higher church echelons or not? Or gay marriage? The politics might not seem important now, but it might be hard if you feel drawn into a church and tpyet feel like you are fighting the 'rule' all the way?

I am not sure if there is a sort of an online resource where you can choose what you believe with out being to lead ...like what happens at communion etc ....but it would be a good one, I think a lot of people would feel drawn to churches not where their parents went!
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Options
    This is the Church of England's website, which sets out the essence of Christianity, and the Anglican faith:

http://www.churchofengland.org/our-faith.aspx
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • steelframedhouse
    Options
    The different denominations believe slightly (or not so slightly ) different things. And then they express these things in different ways.

So, for example, do you want to go to a church where there is a formal, more quiet and formal down service, with a few standup hymns? Or does a more expressive loud singy type experience feel more how you feel drawn to visit church?

Do you have an opinion on whether men or women lead your service, or have a place in the higher church echelons or not? Or gay marriage? The politics might not seem important now, but it might be hard if you feel drawn into a church and tpyet feel like you are fighting the 'rule' all the way?

I am not sure if there is a sort of an online resource where you can choose what you believe with out being to lead ...like what happens at communion etc ....but it would be a good one, I think a lot of people would feel drawn to churches not where their parents went!

I quite like the expressive 'singy' idea of church. I'm not opposed to female vicars (I don't think that's even the right title, is it priests? :o) or gay marriage - I guess I'm pretty liberal in my views.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    I don't even know what the difference is between evangelical or high churches :o I just clicked on the Alpha link (thanks fluffnutter) and the churches in my area are: Ecumenical, Independent, Anglican, Methodist, Evangelical, Baptist, Vineyard, Non-Denominational and Other - I have no idea what the differences would be which is why I thought it might be an idea to find a Christian forum first.

You could try a service each week at each of your local churches and see which one you like. Personally I'd start with the Anglican or Methodist but that's my own subjective view.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    first, let me make it plain I am NOT Christian. I go to churches (I assume you mean one of the main religions) usually only to attend weddings, funerals or christenings. I have to say that with christenings which take place after the 'normal' sunday service I have always felt welcomed. most churches welcome new members and you are almost always treated with friendship. especially with small churches. Go, if that is what you feel you want to do - attend a few and see what appeals to you the most.
    even as a non-Christian I do like churches - especially really old ones - I like the atmosphere in them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure