Quote for replacing Flush mechanism...

Options
Been quoted £85-£100 to replace a flush mechanism in the toilet, it seems reasonable but I've not had much plumbing done before so just want to check this is about expected.

The plumber is a reputable person, done work before so not questionning him personally just want to know if it is on par with other similar jobs.
Mortgage Free since January 2018!

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of flush mechanism are we talking about? Old fashioned syphon?, flapper valve?, fluidmaster type? Is he supplying within the price? Probably £20/£25 of materials rest is labour. Hours work at most but then again he's allowing for unforseen circumstances holding him up so perhaps costed on half a day. So towards the lower end of the window IMHO.

Cheers

PS. This sort of job is eminently DIYable if you are capable and know what you are doing. If you aren't then get someone in - the cistern has to come off to do the job!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • jezebel
    jezebel Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2013 at 4:19PM
    Options
    Thanks for the swift response! The fact that I'm not able to answer what type of flush probably means that I am not capable - I managed to isolate the leak myself with the help of Youtube and online how tos but don't think it is something I can do myself - would rather pay someone that is capable - :)

Edited to add: The impression I got was this was parts and labour as he quoted for whole job.

If it is anything like last time the guy was good enough to explain what had gone wrong so I could identify myself next time if I needed a plumber or not :)
    Mortgage Free since January 2018!
  • keystone
    Options
    jezebel wrote: »
    Thanks for the swift response! The fact that I'm not able to answer what type of flush probably means that I am not capable - I managed to isolate the leak myself with the help of Youtube and online how tos but don't think it is something I can do myself - would rather pay someone that is capable - :)
    You'll need to take the lid off the cistern to answer that question.
    If it is anything like last time the guy was good enough to explain what had gone wrong so I could fix it myself next time :)
    Very professional of him and to be applauded tbh.

Cheers

Edit: If it's parts and labour then something towards the bottom end of the window or less is in the right sort of ballpark. The top end of the window is rather heavy IMO.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Prothet_of_Doom Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £30 for parts, £50 for labour, £10 for contingencies, £10 just in case he has to come back in a week for some reason.

A good plumber will do it in 2 hours max, and you will never need to see him again.
  • keystone
    Options
    £30 for parts, £50 for labour, £10 for contingencies, £10 just in case he has to come back in a week for some reason.

A good plumber will do it in 2 hours max, and you will never need to see him again.
    It desn't even need a plumber to do this. The bit I've boldened is true and therefore, there is absolutely no need for the additional £ 10 for contingencies and £ 10 just in case.

Cheers
  • mehera
    mehera Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Most plumbers charge £40 per hour so it looks like he has allowed 1.5 hours labour to me . ..

As I have not seen the toilet I cannot comment on how difficult the job is.

I usually do jobs like this based on purely the time taken as it could be 30 mins or 3 hours even in the worst possible scenario!!!

This I feel is the fairest for everyone. If the job is simple you pay less.

What people dont realise is 9 times out of 10 a 'fixed price' job will be more expensive . . . .
    I was going to put the name of my plumbing business here so you know what I do should I give out any advice plumbing wise - however apparently I cant do that - go figure!!!!!
    New signature - I am a Plumber (I am just not allowed to tell you!)
  • hamster2013
    hamster2013 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    i changed my flush without any plumbing experience in about 1hour work
    had to dismantle the whole thing and refit as was changing from a pull to a push type flush.

total cost: £20 for the flush
  • mehera
    mehera Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    If plumbing was so easy to do - there would be any need for plumbers at all would there?
    I was going to put the name of my plumbing business here so you know what I do should I give out any advice plumbing wise - however apparently I cant do that - go figure!!!!!
    New signature - I am a Plumber (I am just not allowed to tell you!)
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    mehera wrote: »
    If plumbing was so easy to do - there would be any need for plumbers at all would there?

I agree: we are not all cut out to be DIY experts.

I lifted my cistern lid off and the inside quite frightened me: the lid slipped out of my hands and shattered on the floor! I could no more replace those strange things than I could perform an operation on someone!
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• keystone
    Options
    mehera wrote: »
    This isn't plumbing - its a handyman job if OP can't do it themselves.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure