We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Anyone heard of Harewood Property & Investments

Options

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    simonx3x reported for spamming
  • aoneproperty
    Options
    It appears This company is not on correct list and not giving correct information.
    But watch dog says they are active. How come this is true.
  • john_tucker
    Options
    The company has dreadful customer service stay clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They build houses with Japanese knot Weed, I am currently living in one and Harewood do not seem to want to know, they are builders from hell with attitudes to match. I cannot emphasise enough Stay Clear - Pickley Green in Leigh is experiencing massive problems.
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As long as you know the risks involved, it's like any other gamble, putting £10 on the favourite horse, or investing £10,000 in stocks and shares. It's a risk and like a lot of things in this world, you could win big, or loose the lot.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Putting £10,000 in stocks and shares is not remotely like putting £10 on a horse or investing in something like this.

Put £10 on a horse and you will lose money in the long run. Put £10,000 in stocks and shares and you will make money in the long run (assuming you diversify, don't gear and don't panic). If you are trying to win big you are doing it wrong.

As for Harewood I think enough has already been said.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everything anyone does carries risk. Risk is not on/off. it is a sliding scale. Putting £10 a horse is very high risk as the chance of getting your £10 back is low. Putting £10k into stocks & shares carries risk but the risk will vary depending on the stocks and shares and how you do it (100% in one share is high risk. It could do a polly peck. a spread that has no more than 1% in any one share is much lower risk).

Going into unregulated investments with no consumer protection, no regulator, 100% loss potential and a dubious level of return is very high risk (if its so good then why do they need your money and why isnt the bank lending it to them at much lower rates than they are offering you)?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • John_Daker
    Options
    Hardwood Associates latest development is called The Moorlands, Whiston, Staffs. A copper smelter occupied the small 1acre site for roughly 100 yrs before being demolished in 1900. The land has stood undeveloped since. Thr lane that it is on is called black lane....no prizes for guessing why. The site will need to undergo careful remediation before it is fit to be used for residential purposes. I can't see how you can set a budget for this developent when no one really knows what lies beneath the ground and the extent of the clean up that is required.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    John_Daker wrote: »
    Hardwood Associates latest development is called The Moorlands, Whiston, Staffs. A copper smelter occupied the small 1acre site for roughly 100 yrs before being demolished in 1900. The land has stood undeveloped since. Thr lane that it is on is called black lane....no prizes for guessing why. The site will need to undergo careful remediation before it is fit to be used for residential purposes. I can't see how you can set a budget for this developent when no one really knows what lies beneath the ground and the extent of the clean up that is required.

There are many ways of doing it, one of the most common is to fix a land value exclusive of remediation, so the original landowner takes on much of the risk. Investigation and remediation will be a staged approach, with budget amended as each stage is completed.

I wouldn't invest in such things when you can get similar returns from p2p lending with a higher level of security but there is certainly money to be made from residential development, brownfield or not, so it's up to the individual to do their own reserve have and due diligence and be comfortable with the return based in the level of risk.
  • John_Daker
    Options
    Thank you bigadaj for you speedy and helpful reply. So the landowner has the cost of full remediation taken out of the sale price. £500,000 did seem a little expensive for a 1 acre brownfield site, but I am the first to admit, I am a layman in such matters.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    John_Daker wrote: »
    Thank you bigadaj for you speedy and helpful reply. So the landowner has the cost of full remediation taken out of the sale price. £500,000 did seem a little expensive for a 1 acre brownfield site, but I am the first to admit, I am a layman in such matters.

Not necessarily but that is one option. It depends how they are developing it but at say ten plots per acre then that's only £50k per plot, the old rule of thumb was that the land would make a third of the house price, so that would translate as a sale price of around £150k per house, which wouldnt be unreasonable.

Of course there could be more cost for remediation, the developer or landowner can take on some or all of the risk and ther can be grants available for example, an old metal working site isn't necessarily the most expensive site to remediate compared with say a gas works or petrol site.

It could be that they aren't very good at negotiating and have taken all the remediation risk on which might sound like a less good deal, nothing necessarily dodgy but also not a good deal.

It's a bit like all those deals being advertised now for corporate bonds that people are comparing with bank deposit accounts, they may be fine but at first glance the return for the level of risk doesn't appear worthwhile.

Dyor as they say, just because something is risky doesn't necessarily make it a bad deal but people need to go in with their eyes open.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport