Advice on what to include in letter to council opposing planning application

Options
We have just found out the neighbour across the road has re-applied for planning permission to knock down their 5 bedroom victorian house and build 10 flats. They had previously applied and been refused planning permission but the new plans have been amended, presumably to take into account the council's objections.

The full new plans will be released for viewing in a couple of days so I'm not aware of the precise details of the development but I do know it is a part 3 storey, part 2 storey, 10 unit apartment block with 10 parking spaces. Obvisouly we are not happy about this at all as it is a quiet, leafy residential street in one of the most popular parts of town. Most of the houses are fairly large established buildings including old victorian houses and newer (but still established) 70's houses. There is one block of flats at the other end of the road but none at our end. We feel that this development would have a hugely detrimental effect on the area, both visually and the increase in cars parked on the road etc as well as significantly affecting the value of our house which is directly opposite it.
We also know of the developer who is planning the work and are aware of some of his previous projects all of which are distinctly 'modern' in design - out of keeping with the majority of the rest of the road.

The council has posted a leaflet through the door informing us of the planning application and stating from which date we are able to view the full plans. Also on the leaflet is a section saying the council will not consider any objections based upon the potential visual/local environment effects or the devaluation of local houses. Are the council allowed to do this? Surely they have to consider all objections no matter what the basis of the objection is?
Can anyone give any advice as to the best course of action for us? Are there any issues we can raise which are more likely to get the council to reject the proposals again?

Thanks!
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    Your best approach is to ask the planning officer questions.

Firstly have a look at the plans.

Find out the grounds on which it was refused previously, and ask the planners whether there has been a concerted effort to mitigate these this time around.

Your local council will have a planning policy that it should follow. It may be worth reading the relevent chapters of this and establishing how it fits in or doesn't with that. Any areas of confliction would be good points to raise in any objection.

If you can establish what type of property is in demand in your area - ie flats or houses, then this may add further weight to your case. For example if there are a shortage of houses and a surplus of flats then raise it.

In addition the construction should be in keeping with other properties in the area.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • PROFESSIONAL_LANDLORD
    Options
    > There is one block of flats at the other end of the road but none at our end.

Problem here is a precedent has already been set, I reckon you'll be 'fartin against thunder'.

I personally think most planners are a waste of space, they will not look after your interests.

Land prices being what they are, this type of development is becoming more common.
  • Doonhamer
    Doonhamer Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speak to the council officials, they will usually give you good professional advice and may tell you if they are "minded" to recommend approval to the council comittee.

Be rational and if you object do so on legitamate planning grounds (I guess that's what they mean in their leaflet). Citizens advice may be able to help. Also speak to your local councillor. Find out the members of the planning committee and lobby them.

But be prepared to have a fall back position. If it is inevitable that this will go ahead, try and get the plans altered to make it slightly more favourable to you.
    Only Sheep Need A Shepherd
  • phead
    phead Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    As well as studying the previous application, make sure you look at the local plan for your area and consider the application against it. Also have a look round the web to get a list of valid planning objections, its pointless objecting using reasons that the council cannot take into account (eg property values). If density is increasing then traffic volume is one, check the number of parking spaces in the plan and work out how many they will actually need, so you get parking as another objection. Is there’s a substantial block of Victorian property then altering the character of the area is another objection.

The most important thing is to get other people to object, you really need several formal separate objections. A petition sent to planning and a copy to everyone on the planning committee is also good.

In theory an application is only rejected for specific planning reasons, but they will look harder for reasons if there are a lot public objections. Getting together with the neighbours is the best thing you can do.
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    You can only object on planning grounds, as previous posters have outlined.

Funnily enough I was talking to someone about the same thing this afternoon ( I wonder if you live near to them!? ;) ) They have had favourable responses from local councillors (they copied their objection letter to them). The original plan did not include ANY parking provision, the revised plans do, however only 1 space per flat. Given that all are 2 bed flats it's quite likely there will be at least 2 cars per flat. Also, where do visitors, tradesmen & delivery vans park? That will be the basis for their next objection, as parking is a real problem already.
    BTW one of the councillors also chairs the planning committee, which my friend didn't know at the time.
    This appears to be going on more frequently, as well as providing new homes it also brings in extra council tax so don't be surprised if it goes through.
  • mopsey
    mopsey Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I'm afraid if you live in a nice leafy suberban street that has big houses that stand on a nice big plot then you will enevrtably find that blocks of flats will be built on them.
    Blame that nice Mr Prescott.
    And what about the water shortage. Have you had a hosepipe ban this year? No wonder when they're turning 5 bed houses in to 10 2 bed flats. They didn't think of that when they said to build 2 million houses in the South East!!! (apologies if you don't live in the South East.)
    Apologies for the spelling. Its been a good evening. Hic.
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    There is always a flip side to this type of issue.

Development of this nature will have a beneficial effect on the OPs property value. His house may be seen as development potential by future developers, who may be competing with private buyers wanting to live in the existing house.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • oliverp_2
    oliverp_2 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options

I personally think most planners are a waste of space, they will not look after your interests.

I don't think that is a particularly fair comment...

1- They aren't planners, they are planning officers. A planner actually draws up plans, a planning officer decides whether these plans are acceptable under the local plan or Local Development Framework.

2- There is no allowance for anything outside of the local plan or LDF when making decisions

3- Most large developments will go to committee so councillors will make the decision and it out of the planning officer's hands.
  • Tahiti
    Tahiti Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    Ultimately (and frankly unfortunately) I think you are very unlikely to be able to stop the development even if several neighbours fight it, unless the current house has some significance. A precedent has been set at the other end of the street, and the planners have to work to their local development plan. In my area for instance, it is very hard to get new build detached houses agreed to as they are actively encouraging the development of "apartments". Your area may be different though.

I would personally try to ensure that it encroaches the least on you and your neighbours. As has been mentioned above, parking is a huge issue on a block development so ensure that there is adequate parking for the residents and their guests.

The other thing that would interest me would be the position of the building in relation to the plot, and the landscaping around the plot (it's lighting too, as this could affect you at night).

Councillors don't want to alienate the voters, and I assume something of this size would have their involvement from an early stage.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    increased traffic, parking spaces, amenity space(i.e. loss of gardens etc.), out of character with area etc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure