What to pay for logs

Options
What price do I need to pay for a cubic metre of hardwood logs to make it cheaper than running gas central heating?

I realise its probably dependant on various factors but anyone's experience would be helpful.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 July 2013 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Are you wanting a like for like comparison, gas fired boiler against a wood fired boiler?

This site has a tool that allows you compare different costs...

http://www.soliftec.com/fuelcost.htm
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2013 at 8:01AM
    Options
    Are you wanting a like for like comparison, gas fired boiler against a wood fired boiler?

This site has a tool that allows you compare different costs...

http://www.soliftec.com/fuelcost.htm

Thank you.

So according to that I need to buy logs at £80 per cubic metre to break even with gas central heating. I've just ordered some at £85 which was the best price I could get locally.

I might do a comparison this winter to see what is saved off the gas bill by using this load. Looks like its going to be very difficult to source cheap enough logs though!
  • SG27
    Options
    Another question, does anyone know how many net bags make a m3? The ones that homebase, b&q and garden centres sell. I've seen some discounted over the summer but have no idea how this compares.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to be dismal but I would say unless you get almost free wood your chances of beating gas in terms of price are nil. Don't take the efficiency figures quoted by stove makers at face value - they are unreliable and wood varies considerably, from batch the batch.

Sadly, a lot of people are being sucked into stove ownership by the myth of money saving. All it is achieving is even higher prices for firewood.
  • SG27
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Sorry to be dismal but I would say unless you get almost free wood your chances of beating gas in terms of price are nil. Don't take the efficiency figures quoted by stove makers at face value - they are unreliable and wood varies considerably, from batch the batch.

Sadly, a lot of people are being sucked into stove ownership by the myth of money saving. All it is achieving is even higher prices for firewood.

Yes I think your right. Our new house has a stove but also a gas boiler. I suppose ill be using it for enjoyment rather than money saving. I will do a test this winter on how much £85 1 cubic metre of wood reduces my gas bill by. It will interesting to see.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    Another question, does anyone know how many net bags make a m3? The ones that homebase, b&q and garden centres sell. I've seen some discounted over the summer but have no idea how this compares.

The net bags are tiny when compared with a cubic metre. As a rough guide, the big "1 ton" builders' bags used to supply sand and gravel are slightly under a cubic metre.

I normally end up getting wood by the pickup-truck load. That costs me £65. But I thinks that's less than a cubic metre also.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    The net bags are tiny when compared with a cubic metre. As a rough guide, the big "1 ton" builders' bags used to supply sand and gravel are slightly under a cubic metre.

The only people I've seen actually prove the amount they get in a bag came out as 0.73m Cubed.

In general i'd expect you get a little less.

On that basis you'll come up at least 25% short buying via that method (if you are after a true cubic metre).
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's also worth bearing in mind that the typical "cubic metre" is loose filled. In other words, they will keep chucking logs into the back of the truck until it reaches the right level.

If you then neatly stack the logs in your wood store, you'll find they end up significantly less than a cubic metre.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a log burner and don't pay for logs at all, ever!

Once you have one you would be surprised where you can source wood from.
  • SG27
    Options
    Seanymph wrote: »
    We have a log burner and don't pay for logs at all, ever!

Once you have one you would be surprised where you can source wood from.

Please enlighten me!?

I've picked up some cords from family members who have had some trees chopped down. Cut them myself and stacked for seasoning. But this is no where near enough to last the winter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure