MSE News: Get on the electoral roll to boost your credit chances

in Credit File & Ratings
14 replies 2.5K views
"Over six million people could boost their chances of getting credit by joining the electoral register..."
Read the full story:

Get on the electoral roll to boost your credit chances

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• This is news?
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • jibbyboojibbyboo Forumite
    262 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭
    I've just re-registered for my new home, and opted out of the edited register which says would be used for marketing communications. I am assuming that credit referencing uses the full register?
    Please respond to mine and others' posts with courtesy and kindness- and I will not deliberately disrespect you. Down with the trolls!
  • TixyTixy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jibbyboo wrote: »
    I am assuming that credit referencing uses the full register?

It does indeed
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • ElkyElkyElkyElky Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    If you aren't on the electoral register, then it's unlikely you will get any credit, as lenders use the roll to check out potential borrowers.

I disagree with this. Whilst being on the register helps, it's still possible to get credit without issue by not being on it.

In fact, I was accepted for 3 different main stream credit cards before I finally registered. Likewise, someone in the family got a personal loan and they've never registered for the electoral register.

MSE always makes it out like it is impossible to obtain credit whilst not being on the electoral register but it really isn't. I'm sure there will be lenders who automatically decline for not being on the register, but equally, there are lenders who won't even bat an eyelid.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    I disagree with this. Whilst being on the register helps, it's still possible to get credit without issue by not being on it.

As underwriting criteria gets progressively tightened down , a tracable address history is becoming a critical factor.
  • izoolsizools Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    As underwriting criteria gets progressively tightened down , a tracable address history is becoming a critical factor.

Yeah but it'll never be that tight as that would result in those new to the country or those ineligble to vote being biased against.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    izools wrote: »
    Yeah but it'll never be that tight as that would result in those new to the country or those ineligble to vote being biased against.

Everything has a price, question is would you be willing to pay it.
  • izoolsizools Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bank accounts for example will always be offered to those without a totally rugged and traceable address history as if they weren't then foreign students, immigrants, and the like wouldn't be able to bank...

...Once a bank account is opened pre-approved offers would in time be generated off the back of good account conduct (depending on which banking group it is of course, I think Lloyds Banking Group are the only ones left that do this come to think of it)
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    izools wrote: »
    ...Once a bank account is opened pre-approved offers would in time be generated off the back of good account conduct (depending on which banking group it is of course, I think Lloyds Banking Group are the only ones left that do this come to think of it)

Barclays, too.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • phatbearphatbear Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    not being on the electoral roll recently became an issue for me.

i have been living with my other half, now ex, for 10 years and never registered for the electoral roll and, despite having a few credit cards, with no debts on any of them, i was recently turned down for a mortgage because of my non apperance on the roll.

thankfully having a decent mortgage broker he was able to find a lender who didnt put so much emphasis on my name being on the roll.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals