How to use enduring power of attorney??

Options
My mum and I completed an enduring power of attorney form some years ago, before the lasting power of attorney came into being. She is now 90 and wants me to manage her finances. How do I use the p of a?? I don't think I need to register it with the Court of Protection or any one else from the Gov as she is still mentally aware, just too old to cope with changing investments, etc. So - do I just send a copy of the form to all her accounts? What do I do about on line accounts? How do I get started? Thanks.

Comments

• John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The form I had was an enduring power of attorney and an ordinary power of attorney, wrapped into the one form. So I just sent people photocopies if necessary.
    I found being "the authorised signatory" was sufficient for the current accounts and the on-line one ....... well nobody queried its use anyway.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It needs to be registered with financial institutions - they will need to see the original document to proceed or at least a certified copy.
  • monkeyspanner
    monkeyspanner Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    Options
    Our experience would suggest that many branch staff have little or no training as regards POA and how to deal with them. Some banks are better than others. I am unsure if this situation has improved in the last couple of years. I believe Money Box did a piece on the radio recently and you might be able to get that to give you some pointers.
    Each bank applies different rules and restrictions when notified. For instance Santander could not issue a bank card to the POA without canceling the account holders card and then suggested opening a joint account to get round the problem. In the end we found the hassle with Santander was not worth the additional effort and moved the account to Lloyds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure