We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Will joining Virgin Media Broadband mean i get max speed?

Options
Hi all,

As you may have seen from my earlier post in my new address the highest speed i can get is probably a measly 512K/sec. However, the previous owner had cable and so even though e've now had a BT line installed i still take it we have a cable line.

I was thinking of signing up to Virgin Media's M Broadband package - you hve two options you can either use your normal BT phoneline or through a cable line. I was wondering would i be able to get broadband on cable and so get the maximum 2Mb - or would it still be 512K as it would be down the phone line?

Thanks

Comments

• banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you have cable you will get 1.5/2mbs on a 2mbs line ,3/4mbs on a 4mbs ect put it do prop a little bit and in some areas in peek a lott (thats just like been on a BT line ). cable uses it own line /cable and not a bt line ,and yes you can have both,one last thing virgin do limit the speed at peek if you go over the recamended download limit fo your package put only for 4 hours and yes you can download the full internet if you want still (still unlimited that way )
    if you are still do not now look here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ and go to the forum and virgin media(cable)
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• darwin-rover
    darwin-rover Posts: 510 Forumite
    Options
    I have VM cable broadband and its uber-reliable , never had so much as a minutes downtime . Far , far better than ADSL BB down the phone line . If you live in a cable BB area then you are mad going for ADSL in my opinion .
  • abbas5001
    abbas5001 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have VM cable broadband and its uber-reliable , never had so much as a minutes downtime . Far , far better than ADSL BB down the phone line . If you live in a cable BB area then you are mad going for ADSL in my opinion .

I was this close to signing up to it today but went on a few blogs such as broadbandgenie and other forums and about 80% of the users were saying the service was awful and that they couldn't wait to change?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    abbas5001 wrote: »
    I was this close to signing up to it today but went on a few blogs such as broadbandgenie and other forums and about 80% of the users were saying the service was awful and that they couldn't wait to change?

It still sounds like your best option if you could only get 512k on ADSL.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • abbas5001
    abbas5001 Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    It still sounds like your best option if you could only get 512k on ADSL.

I just used the BT availability checker again and now its saying i should be able to get speeds up to 2Mb and possibly 4MB/sec with the ADSL max line rate. The line was only put in yesterday - perhaps thats why it was initially so low. In a dilemma now of what to do as ADSL is back on the cards...
  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    been on cable years and they are better than adsl in my option ,down time once or twice a year after midnight if your lucky , speed ,i think the min i have had on 10mbs is 2mbs and there was a fault in the area ,now i am on 4mbs and the lowest is 3mbs at ??? can not remember it been that low for a long time and caps there is not any , only if you download a lot a peek time and your speed is hafted for 4 hours on a upgraded area (upgraded areas are them areas that can get 20mbs)
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• darwin-rover
    Options
    abbas5001 wrote: »

Ppl tend only to post when they have a have a problem , most ppl tend not to post on internet forums saying "Yeah my internets fine today"
    I'm on the 10meg and the lowest I get is about 5 meg during peak time . I get close to 10meg out of peak .
    This is what I got at 2pm on a Sun
    http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1180875607&v=1493726
  • darwin-rover
    Options
    VM are the second biggest ISP in the UK , very close behind BT . If the service was so bad and "most" ppl cant wait to change , then why are they so big ? Its a free country you have the choice of over 200 ISPs .
    At the min VM also have a money back guarantee . You can cancel within 30days with a full refund if you're not satisfied
    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/money_back_guarantee.html
  • Skint1
    Skint1 Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with Virgin/Ntl been with them 6 years no complaints. But they are starting to restrict services.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html
    You can always get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than with just a kind word.
  • Hotspur
    Hotspur Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    I've just signed up for virginmedia cable broadband after a lot of research as I can only get a max of 2 meg where I live anyway.

Much of the negative comments on various forums (fora?) are from virgin.net ASDL users and not cable. Most cable customers seem pretty satisfied with the broadband service. Hope I don't have to eat my words.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport