Missed Direct Debit.

Options
Received a letter from United Utilities saying that they made an error and they missed taking my payment (by Direct Debit) in June .

The letter goes on to say they will now take two amounts in July. One to replace Junes missed payment and the scheduled July payment. Are they allowed to do this ? Should the payment they missed not to be taken at my convenience no theirs? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

All water bill are due payment in full as soon as they produced so a DD is a way of spreading that amount.

When you sign a DD mandate you are in effect giving the company permission to take 'unlimited' amounts from your account. The only stipulation is they must inform you in advance of any change in the amount they intend to take.

If you spent the money for June's DD and the the double whammy in July will cause hardship, they will normally agree to some form of compromise if you call them.
  • bella2121
    bella2121 Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    Options
    I'd just cancel the direct debit then reset it back up, your monthly payments will increase slightly taking into account the one or two you've missed but it shouldn't be a problem I've done this in the past hth :)
    ***** on the road to debt freedom *****

Baby girl due September 2013
  • keagy
    keagy Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks both of you . I've not spent that money so I can do the two payments , it's just slightly irritating that they feel they can do as they like. I bet some clever so an so gets out of it so thought I'd ask just in case that could be me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure