Arghh i can only get 512k/sec broadband!

Options
Hey all,

Have recently moved home and when i used my postcode a few days ago to check what speed i could get it was 4megabits per second which was great.

However, i got the BT line put in today and entered my phone number into various sites with most saying i could only get 512K which i am horrified at lol! Thats worse than my previous address where i got 1Mb/sec and was gutted i couldn't get more even though the contract i was on made me eligible for it.

I'm now in a dilemma - i'm not sure whether theres much point in me pursuing all these companies offering 8Mb/sec when i can't get it. Does anyone know of any companies offering good prices that would be good for me? Incidentally, i am sick of companies who were crap in the past (Tiscali) so i would like someone who is also good on reliability and service.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just a thought and you have probably look to see if you can have cable ,if you have sorry
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• abbas5001
    abbas5001 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    banger9365 wrote: »
    just a thought and you have probably look to see if you can have cable ,if you have sorry

Hey thanks, i had looked at it but only boefre as the whole tv, phone and broadband deal. By itself it is pretty cheap (£10 for the first 12 months) but they will give me a cable modem which concerns me. Will this affect me in any way - such as setting up a wireless network, accessing certain software/hardware or any other conventional uses?

Anyone know?

Thanks
  • banger9365
    Options
    you have to us there modem they give you and it you have a router for a bt line you will have to get one for cable ,usally cheeper too ,the modem come with a usb lead (do's nead software)and a ethernet cable which do not need any software just plug in to the network card on you pc (if you have not got one you can get one for a few pounder at most pc shops £2 to £10)

• abbas5001
    abbas5001 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    banger9365 wrote: »
    you have to us there modem they give you and it you have a router for a bt line you will have to get one for cable ,usally cheeper too ,the modem come with a usb lead (do's nead software)and a ethernet cable which do not need any software just plug in to the network card on you pc (if you have not got one you can get one for a few pounder at most pc shops £2 to £10)

Hi,

I tried signing up for the broadband there but as i was going through the stages to sign up for it, it sked whether i would like to keep my existing Bt phone number. Why is it asking me this? I selected broadband only - and didn't select the phone option. I want to keep my BT phone and just get the cable broadband by itself.
  • banger9365
    Options
    just ring them up , and then you now they have your order

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income