We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Help with working out annual Gas/Elec cost - Eon
Pinklepurr
Posts: 331 Forumite
in Energy
I moved into a new build home a little over a year ago (28 Jun 2012). The supplier that was already supplying the property was Eon.
We were on what I believe was their standard tariff (Eon Energy Plan) until mid Nov then, on advice from Eon, switched to their Eon Energy Fixed 1 yr V2 plan.
In the course of a year we have used exactly
2663 kw/h of Gas
4498 kw/h of Elec
Unfortunately I don't have the exact meter readings for the date we made the switch from one plan to another.
Now that a year is up and I had an accurate figure for our usage, I decided to search for a better deal. I went onto Uswitch and put in all the info but the totals they suggest we spend over the course of a year are literally hundreds of pounds less than what we are actually spending! We have paid Eon over £1500 in the last year, but Uswitch estimate our annual costs with Eon at only £943 inc VAT. I have double checked the information I put in and it is all correct. I simply do not understand why the figures could be so different.
I rang E.on who really didn't have a clue what I was talking about and simply produced a new bill with the up to date meter readings I had given them (causing my direct debit to increase).
The trouble is, I cannot get an accurate comparison as I don't know if Eon are charging me correctly, or if the Uswitch site is wrong instead. Help?
If it is relevant, there are two adults and two teens in the house and we have a 5 bed home, and being new build it has modern boiler and well insulated etc.
Help!
We were on what I believe was their standard tariff (Eon Energy Plan) until mid Nov then, on advice from Eon, switched to their Eon Energy Fixed 1 yr V2 plan.
In the course of a year we have used exactly
2663 kw/h of Gas
4498 kw/h of Elec
Unfortunately I don't have the exact meter readings for the date we made the switch from one plan to another.
Now that a year is up and I had an accurate figure for our usage, I decided to search for a better deal. I went onto Uswitch and put in all the info but the totals they suggest we spend over the course of a year are literally hundreds of pounds less than what we are actually spending! We have paid Eon over £1500 in the last year, but Uswitch estimate our annual costs with Eon at only £943 inc VAT. I have double checked the information I put in and it is all correct. I simply do not understand why the figures could be so different.
I rang E.on who really didn't have a clue what I was talking about and simply produced a new bill with the up to date meter readings I had given them (causing my direct debit to increase).
The trouble is, I cannot get an accurate comparison as I don't know if Eon are charging me correctly, or if the Uswitch site is wrong instead. Help?
If it is relevant, there are two adults and two teens in the house and we have a 5 bed home, and being new build it has modern boiler and well insulated etc.
Help!
0
Comments
-
You seem to be using a lot of electricity, and too little gas. Are you sure you gas is not more like 26,000Kwh.
You are aware that you have to convert gas meter readings which are in cubic meters to Kwh.That gum you like is coming back in style.0 -
As above, you cannot possibly be using as little gas as 2,663kWh pa in a house with gas CH and DHW. The average is 16,500kWh.
Where did you get that figure from?
If 2663 is your meter unit usage (i.e. cubic metres), and you have a metric meter (it's marked on the meter), then your kWh usage is 30,259, which makes sense if your annual spend is over £1,500 (so £1,150 on gas, £539+ on electricity), total around £1689.
If that is correct, your house may be energy efficient, but your usage is anything but-it's extremely high for both fuels.No free lunch, and no free laptop
0 -
Sorry everyone! I have been a complete numpty!
I have recalculated the figures from our bills.
Gas: 17,612 kw/h
Elec 4,223 kw/h
It makes sense now! Now need to find ways to cut back ...0 -
I'd agree with penrhyn, I'd guess you are just taking the gas meter readings which are usually in cubic metres you have then go to multiply if by various numbers to convert the volume of gas into kilowatt hours (all the conversion factors are usually written on the back of your gas bill) - I don't have gas any more so can't remember the formulae
It's not everso hard to work out what your bills should be based on your tariff and usage. Ideally you need to send a reading to your suppliers every month and record it yourself so you know what its costing you and it will help to monitor your usage as well.
It's also been suggested that your electricity consumption is a bit high - most estimates come out at 3300-3500kw/h a year for an average user - there are only two of us but we manage to get through about 4000kw/h a year so you probably aren't all that far off the mark with your usage especially with teenagers in the house who might have their own TVs, computers,Sky and X-boxes flogging away all night (It's surprising how much they use if you don't turn them off).
Try recalculating your gas usage and then do some comparisons on just gas & just electric - it's not always cheaper to have a dual fuel tariffNever under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers0 -
Thank you! I was using just the meter readings and forgetting to do the conversion. Doh!
Yes, I realise our usage is higher than average, but I don't think it is ridiculously high. We have all the usual appliances that homes with teenagers have, and the washing machine is used a lot! We don't scrimp on heating and put it on when it is cold. I will now go away and do another comparison and hopefully see if we can reduce the costs. I think it would also be useful to have one of those monitor things too.0 -
Monitor things arn't very accurate but will aide you in your role as Warden Hodges...." Put that light out!"
PS If you have a lot of GU10 halogen lights the LED versions take a 10th of the power, and can make a useful saving over time.
O and 19 - 20 c is plenty warm enough in winter for the CH,That gum you like is coming back in style.0 -
O and 19 - 20 c is plenty warm enough in winter for the CH
Not according to my wife it isn't.
Plus how do you know the thermometer that is showing 20 deg C is accurate?
I have 3 digital thermometers and they all show different readings even when they are in the same room and within 2 inches of each other.
Although the difference is only 1.5 deg CGetting forgetful, if you think I've asked this before I probably have. :rotfl:0 -
also 20 degree in a warm room feels different to 20 degree in a draft!.. Air & Surface temperature etc...
I know my home heating never gets much past the 19/20 mark on the room stat - and its toastie.. yet 19/20 in an office with air conditioning is much cooler..
dont forget digital ones will have a +/- tolerance in what they show.NowRetired wrote: »Not according to my wife it isn't.
Plus how do you know the thermometer that is showing 20 deg C is accurate?
I have 3 digital thermometers and they all show different readings even when they are in the same room and within 2 inches of each other.
Although the difference is only 1.5 deg C0 -
The standard tariff would likely be more expensive..
Dont confuse what you have Used with what you have paid. The bills will break down what the unit prices were over that time, so as long as the readings are correct and meter reference details are correct (not being misread \ meter type etc - which is unlikely on new build?)..
Have you worked out those KWH figures yourself? or taken from the bills?Pinklepurr wrote: »I moved into a new build home a little over a year ago (28 Jun 2012). The supplier that was already supplying the property was Eon.
We were on what I believe was their standard tariff (Eon Energy Plan) until mid Nov then, on advice from Eon, switched to their Eon Energy Fixed 1 yr V2 plan.
In the course of a year we have used exactly
2663 kw/h of Gas
4498 kw/h of Elec
Unfortunately I don't have the exact meter readings for the date we made the switch from one plan to another.
Now that a year is up and I had an accurate figure for our usage, I decided to search for a better deal. I went onto Uswitch and put in all the info but the totals they suggest we spend over the course of a year are literally hundreds of pounds less than what we are actually spending! We have paid Eon over £1500 in the last year, but Uswitch estimate our annual costs with Eon at only £943 inc VAT. I have double checked the information I put in and it is all correct. I simply do not understand why the figures could be so different.
I rang E.on who really didn't have a clue what I was talking about and simply produced a new bill with the up to date meter readings I had given them (causing my direct debit to increase).
The trouble is, I cannot get an accurate comparison as I don't know if Eon are charging me correctly, or if the Uswitch site is wrong instead. Help?
If it is relevant, there are two adults and two teens in the house and we have a 5 bed home, and being new build it has modern boiler and well insulated etc.
Help!0 -
Pinklepurr wrote: »Gas: 17,612 kw/h
Elec 4,223 kw/h
It makes sense now! Now need to find ways to cut back ...
We can help with this Pinklepurr.
Have a chat with our Energy Efficiency guys. Tell them about your property and appliances. They specialise in helping people reduce their energy usage and will be happy to help.
Ask them for a copy of a booklet called '100 ways to save money by saving energy.' It's free and contains lots of useful advice to help you save.
Check out our website, too. Particularly the 'Interactive House' and 'Energy Menu.' More good tips here.
Hope this is useful. Give me a shout if you need any more info as happy to help.
Malc“Official Company Representative
I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
