Private sale - car not as described

Options
Joe_Horner
Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
We recently (about 2 weeks ago) got a new (to us) 1995 Pug 405 diesel estate. It has 185k miles, is running well except for the missing 5th gear (the PO told us about that), and we paid one daf Daffodil for it.

The PO described it as "top spec" for the year, but I've just cheked its VIN number on Peugeot's servicebox site, and under "miscellaneous" I was horrified to see this entry:
WEAPON MOUNTING POINTS: WITHOUT ARMAMENTS ADAPTATION

Now, we're generally happy with the car but I don't see how he could say it was "top spec" if it didn't come from the factory with the optional weapons mounting points!

Have I got a case under SOGA?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps you could get them retro-fitted along with a heavy machine gun and maybe a rocket launcher or two, I'm sure it'll all be available at a very reasonable price on ebay, and then the car will be worth twice what you paid for it.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yep, you'll soon be driving round the place like some Welsh Taliban.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    Yep, you'll soon be driving round the place like some Welsh Taliban.
    Taffyban?....
  • Joe_Horner
    edited 30 June 2013 at 7:48PM
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    Taffyban?....

Eh? They're banning toffee? Bl**d* Nanny State!!!

eta: I guess the replies so far mean I had a chance to see they were missing before I got it, so it's my tough luck for not inspecting it properly :( Would RAC or AA have picked that up if I'd paid for a check?
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    We recently (about 2 weeks ago) got a new (to us) 1995 Pug 405 diesel estate. It has 185k miles, is running well except for the missing 5th gear (the PO told us about that), and we paid one daf Daffodil for it.

The PO described it as "top spec" for the year, but I've just cheked its VIN number on Peugeot's servicebox site, and under "miscellaneous" I was horrified to see this entry:

Now, we're generally happy with the car but I don't see how he could say it was "top spec" if it didn't come from the factory with the optional weapons mounting points!

Have I got a case under SOGA?

have you checked under the dash for a switch - it's a little known fact that these mounts are hidden *in* the wings, you have to flick the switch in order to open the wings up to give them access. Apparently if they are mounted outside the car permanent its an MOT failure due to the pointy bits...
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was horrified to see this entry:

Careful, they only put this on the cars for the Middle East and North African market. Have you checked the speedo, which way the headlights point and er.. which side the steering wheel is on?
  • Joe_Horner
    edited 30 June 2013 at 11:04PM
    Options
    Speedo? Headlights? He told me they weren't offered on this model year :( The steering wheel's on the in-side, which i think is rght for the UK, but now you've got me worried about that too.

It's in a sort of metallic gunmetal colour - could it be a grey import?
  • Flying-High_2
    Options
    Whole world of Arms/Military/Police fitments to be found in the VAG parts catalogue ETKA.

I was gutted my daily mile muncher B3 Passat never had a Shotgun Holder aswell... Would of been so useful with foxes come lambing time.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the passenger side and driver side panels are straight its more than likely to be a parallel import.

Check the glovebox and the sparewheel well for the 5th gear.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You've mis-understood the build spec.

It just means that you have the 'class war' version rather than the 'armed war'. You should find a there is a piece of T.O.T.T.Y on the back seat ready to give you a massage when the speedo hits 88 mph. There was a rumour of other service at higher speeds, but the base Peugeot 405 estate never hit the required velocity, even when new. Some owners tried turbo chargers and super chargers and there are rumours of some having had success before dying in the ensuing fireball.

You need to be careful by this mileage - the T.O.T.T.Y. thinks it has become a permanent fixture, and any attempt to remove it can result in alimony charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure