PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Horrible object lesson

Options
I know this isn't exactly OS money-saving, but I know I'll get a sympathetic ear.

I don't get away often, and I do keep things 'for best'.
We're having a holiday next week, and I decided I would tidy up my best pink make-up bag, with my best make-up safely in it. So far I have found:

A dinky little container of Tisserand wipes - not only dried out entirely, but gone off.
A lipstick bought for me by my daughter in New York - gone off beyond recall.
Ditto geranium-scented handcream.

I hate wasting anything, and they were sentimentally important, so I'm very cross with myself.

I know things keep for ages unopened away from heat and light, and I thought I knew that once opened, things start to deteriorate. It's worth checking whether you have anything you're keeping 'for best' that you can start using now.

Comments

• vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    Flylady has much to say on the subject of keeping stuff for best.
    (I bet you're in really good company. I know I do it too:o )
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • jazzt1
    jazzt1 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I've had this kind of thing happen to me too with makeup and bath/body stuff - I decide to keep it for a 'special occasion' that never happens or I put it somewhere and forget about it!

So annoying especially if it is a product/scent that you really liked but by the time you get round to thinking about using it/remember that you had it it's gone funny-coloured, seperated or smells weird (or maybe all three in some cases!)

I was actually thinking about checking some of my stuff again to see if anything else is past it or needs to be used up so this is another good reminder, although not so good for you.
  • wasbrokegettingbetter
    Options
    Sometimes its just so nice to use something a little bit special and bask in the warm glow of justification that you are doing it to be frugal;)
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    the fridge is good for storing make up it also makes it last a little longer
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fridge is a good idea if you have the space. All make up, cleansers, skin care stuff etc, even showergels and things comes with a use by date on, well the ones I buy do. It'll have a little pot usually with a date on, 12, 24 months etc. A little sticker on it or just write on it when you opened it is usually a good reminder and saves 'waiting for when it goes nasty'. I'm pretty strict with it after speaking to a GP when I had a problem with my skin, I use a fresh pad (washed and usually soaked in milton, did used to just use cotton wool and buds but rather wasteful) when applying makes sense as the bacteria builds up. Don't want a nasty infection like I got last time from sharing make up.

Oh a money saving tip for sticker date labels, masking tape wrote on with CD pen or similar, works well and cheaper than stickers.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I was little my mother used to buy us outfits *for best*. We weren't allowed to wear them as she was saving them for a really special occasion. Invariably, this didn't come around until the outfit was too small, but not wanting to waste them she then insisted that we wear them anyway :eek: :eek:

I was cured before I became a parent myself ;) Life is too short. Enjoy your holiday, WendyM.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    That takes me back about 50 years (yes I'm past my 'best before' too ;)) to when the vicar called unexpectedly (as they did in those days of the 50's). I clearly remember mum clambering up on a kitchen chair to get the "best" choccy biccies out of the top cupboard, and finding they had gone mouldy :eek: .

I think the poor Rev. had his tea without a biscuit that day.

Bad luck to the OP, how annoying. There is something to be said for non-edibles having a use by date on then. I am currently using up a bottle of shampoo that was use by end of April, but it is fine. I think you can push the limits a bit, but not for a few years.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shampoo one reminds me of recenty decorating, well we've lived here for about 7 years and the bath panel had never been off, when we removed it I found a bottle of 'Revlon Flex' behind there. Didn't 'flex' much any more, was a nasty gloopy mess in the bottle.

We also had clothes for best as kids, shoes too, have learned from that and agree life is too short. My Mum looked horrified when the boys were playing outside in school shoes, like I said why not!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone - the re-design still doesn't have a consistently working thanks button.

I could also have admitted to the 'for best' linen jacket, now 2 sizes too small, with mad 1980's lapels, but I'm training myself to wear the decent clothes I have. I think when you've been skint, it's really hard not to eke out every luxury. But I have learned my lesson on the cosmetics front today.
  • keelykat
    keelykat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Options
    I've been trying to stop keeping things 'for best' too, trying to use all the nice smellies in the bathroom instead of looking at them and thinking 'oh yes, i'll treat myself with that special bath bomb when such and such happens....' that special day never arrives and whatever the product was, is now a sloppy mess on the window sill lol.

Same goes for clothes.....

keely.
    Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport