Leaving Madasafish Notice period problems

Options
I've had to move house and have terminated my Madasafish Broadband connection. They have a 28 day notice period and as such that seems fair enough. However what they seem to do is any bill that falls due within that 28 days (e.g. on day 15 of your notice, you have a bill falls due) you have to then pay the entire amount for a whole month. This means, from the example, that you would have to pay for an extra 15-18 days that fall outside the notice period. If your bill day fell on day 27 of the 28 day notice, then you'd practically be paying a whole extra month - outside of the contracted notice period.

Now Madasafish say that this is because they have to pay BT for the month's usage irrespective of whether you live there, whether the next residents have a broadband connection, or indeed whether you are outside the notice period or not.

I can't find anything in there terms and conditions that state that this is the case - they have pointed me at 10.7 which states that...

Upon termination you agree to cease using the Broadband Services immediately and to pay any monies owing (we will bill any outstanding payments promptly after termination). On termination your right to use the Services ceases immediately.’

However that doesn't really say anything about this situation.

Is this a normal policy?? I've never had a service before where I've had to pay any extra outside of a notice period simply because the computer generates a bill in that time.

Although it's not really lots of money, it's the principle for me...
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Madasafish_Customer_Care
    Options
    Hi Danoneil,

It looks like that you got a lot of the correct information over the phone regarding line costs with BT (which is why we ask for 28 days notice). This is covered in point 10.4 at http://www.madasafish.com/terms-and-conditions/broadband.asp.

Please do PM me your Madasafish username if you would like for me to get involved or review your account.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • danoneil
    danoneil Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I understand the necessity for a 28 day notice period. That makes sense, all companies have a notice period to terminate a contract. However what doesn't make sense to me is the fact that although you have a notice period of 28 days, you actually charge your customer between 29 and 58 days of broadband supply. In my case it's only about 37 or so days usage, but still it's 9 days more than the notice period.

I will of course PM you my user name and you can have a look, thanks for the offer.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    This problem has come up before with MAAF, and was discussed in the MAAF thread.

Point 10.4 in the contract says:
    you or we may terminate this Agreement on giving not less than 28 days notice to the other.......

So when a customer gives notice, 28 days later the contract ends. No mention of any extra payment if a bill for a new month turns up during that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure