HSBC increasing charges, suggestions for an alternative?

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Obviously you get more with the FSB than JUST free banking, but you'd need to check out what they're offering and whether it's worth it for you. See here.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • starlights
    starlights Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't really know why but when we took out a mortgage with Hsbc to help pay for a rental property we were given a free business account. All that happens is that rent is paid in once a month and the mortgage is paid back to Hsbc once a month. Surely I don't need a business account for that. Do you think I could just exchange account for ordinary current account?
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Be prepared for £5.50 per month charge, and 80p per cheque in charge wef September!

Yes, I am however preparing to switch banks instead.
  • darrinm81
    darrinm81 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also received a letter from HSBC. Given I may perform one or two online transactions every quarter it seems madness to pay £5.50 account maintenance. Especially considering no additional benefits are included in the fee (such as insurance cover) and the online banking offering is average.

I did not get any offer to switch to an 'Electronic Banking Tariff'. When I checked the HSBC notice document, it shows the Business Direct account being renamed to Electronic Banking with the charge going from free to £5.50 per month?

Currently looking at Metro Bank (£2k minimum balance) or Carter Allen (£5k minimum balance).

All of the other high street banks seem to charge a fee. The free banking period seems to only apply from incorporation date, rather than when you opened an account. The way this is marketed on their websites is (borderline) misleading.

If the free period starts from account opening I would happily jump ship to another high street brand.

Odd that HSBC would want to shakeout customers. It wouldn't be the first time they have applied a monthly fee on customers by mistake. A few months ago they started charging an international fee.
  • mf78
    mf78 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    They used to charge a monthly fee years ago, then switched to the current model. Though then it was 10 free cheques per month before you paid. Sometime between then and now it was cut to 5. They obviously think they need more money out of their business customers. Perhaps they think most will stay as moving is too much bother? I'm off to chat to the other banks business managers today to see if they'll offer me a free banking period for switching.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I am however preparing to switch banks instead.

Me too! Who are you thinking of going with?
    (I think that was the purpose of this thread :))

RBS was my suggestion (until I saw Atidi's post)
    Metro bank looks a good alternative if you are are around London anytime to actually apply.
  • Wywth
    Options
    darrinm81 wrote: »
    ...All of the other high street banks seem to charge a fee. The free banking period seems to only apply from incorporation date, rather than when you opened an account. The way this is marketed on their websites is (borderline) misleading.

If the free period starts from account opening I would happily jump ship to another high street brand.

Most high street banks offer a switcher account which gives free business banking. It may not last quitre as long as a new start, but most seem to offer a period of free banking.

Trouble is, when that ends, you are back to square one ... or perhaps even worse off as the HSBC Business Direct/'Electronic Banking tariff will still be quite competitive amongst the high street banks despite the monthly fee.
  • Wywth
    Options
    starlights wrote: »
    I don't really know why but when we took out a mortgage with Hsbc to help pay for a rental property we were given a free business account. All that happens is that rent is paid in once a month and the mortgage is paid back to Hsbc once a month. Surely I don't need a business account for that. Do you think I could just exchange account for ordinary current account?

You don't really need a business account for that.
    Whether HSBC would agree now they managed to sell you a business account, I don't know. You can but ask.

If they won't provide you a personal account for that, then I suggest you vote with your feet and open an account with another bank instead.:)
  • suzannesuzanne
    Options
    I thought i'd try calling HSBC to discuss any fee free alternatives (e.g. will they waive the fee in any circumstances) and they said there are absolutely no exceptions except for new start-ups. I told them I was definitely going to close my account then, and they didn't care at all. Bit shocked about it considering I have been a personal and business customer with them for ages. Hopefully I can move to Metro Bank, i'll have to go chat with them (thanks for the suggestion).
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Atidi wrote: »
    I liked that RBS suggestion, Wywth, so I thought I'd give them a try.

Next she oddly said to me that her division were going to be sold off very soon, within the next 2-3 years but was not permitted to say to whom. I asked if she meant RBS or NatWest. She said neither, just the direct business arm.

The reason she can't say who the business arm is going to, is they probably don't know yet! It was due to be sold last year (to Lloyds IIRC but could be wrong), but it all fell through so they've had to start looking again for a buyer. I think the Government are wanting/forcing the sale.

I've had an RBS Business Banking Direct account for about 6 years and never paid any charges except the odd £4 if a customer bounces a cheque on me. Can't pay cash in, but I work around that.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport