Santander discriminate disabled customers

I've been a customer of Santander since they took over Alliance & Leicester.
My debit card breaks all the time, I believe they must use substandard cards. Now it's knackered again, I've asked for a new card to be sent.
As before I explained my circumstances, I am disabled with mobility issues, I am reluctant to carry cash around as I have been mugged in the past.
Last time they issued a card very quickly doing something called an extraction. This time they tell me I need to have ordered 4 cards that neither of which have arrived.

I explain that I am visiting London for a very important appointment, I live in Nottingham and have never visited London before, and need it before I go.

With all the details they tell me to walk to branches around London, so I explain that I will have difficulties getting to the branches, and explained what happened in the past they still refuse to budge.

So now I have to go to an extremely busy city that I have never been to before and either carry a large sum of money on me or hover to as many branches as I could.

If they have to option to extract the card and send it to me quicker, so that I don't have these difficulties, why can't they use it?

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    So you're saying it is discriminatory not to fast track you? Sounds more that you are saying that you want them to discriminate you because of your disability (positive discrimination is still discrimination).

Can you get to your own local branch easily so that they can actually see your mobility issues and hopefully therefore help more? Unfortunately people do come up with bogus stories as to why they need special services all the time.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 June 2013 at 1:43PM
    Get a spare second account with a card, possibly with the same Santander.

Re 'substandard', Santander card is my main debit card and I have not had any problems with it since it was issued two years ago.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Can you still not swipe the card? normally after 3 failed chip reads it will let you swipe the card through.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm sure if there are regular problems with these cards we'd have had many more complaints about them. If so many cards are breaking I your position I'm surprised you don't already have a spare account with another card or even a Natwest/RBS account which allows you to withdraw without a debit card.

I'm afraid you've not even begun to convince me that this is discrimination against disabled customers.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you have mobility issues how are you going to get around that London? The tube for example is not a friendly place.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Hasty1991
    Hasty1991 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 June 2013 at 5:48PM
    So you're saying it is discriminatory not to fast track you? Sounds more that you are saying that you want them to discriminate you because of your disability (positive discrimination is still discrimination).

This. You can't expect to be fast-tracked solely based on your disability. It's disappointing that your card wears out so quickly, but I really have to ask - what are you doing to it? I've had multiple Santander cards for several years, except for the numbers wearing off they are all fine. They are kept in a wallet and do just fine.

They won't "extract" it for you because, well, why should they? Even if you apply this policy only to disabled customers who need a card urgently, I'm sure figures would ramp up quickly.

There are other options such as cash, again I appreciate your concern, but it is an option.

Good luck getting it in time! :)

P.S. If your current card is still working at all, it will continue to do so until you get the new one.
  • BaxUk
    BaxUk Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Agreed with this, I work at a financial institution and i can assure you, no provider will discriminate because of disability.

You are being treated the same as any other valued customer, shame on you for pulling the disability card to try and get preferential treatment.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wakey18 wrote: »
    My debit card breaks all the time, I believe they must use substandard cards.

How does your card break?
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wakey18 wrote: »
    This time they tell me I need to have ordered 4 cards that neither of which have arrived.

What do you mean?
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Never mind the fact that the process the OP requires means everyone elses gets delayed while they extract their card from the system.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family