Virgin Media - how to negotiate deal for new customer?

Options
I've dipped in and out of the Virgin and NTL price cutting threads - most posts are around existing customers getting better deals, which is good!

However, I will be a new customer - is there anything I can do to improve on the unexciting prices/packages offered me on the website? I tried calling sales and "sounding dubious", didn't get me anywhere as yet, am I missing a trick?

What I probably want is the size L TV, and the size L or XL broadband. Phone - I could take - or I could leave the BT one where it is.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    There wont be anything you can do to improve the deals if you're a new customer. Rententions only look to improve deals for existing customers
  • mrs_scrooge
    mrs_scrooge Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    normanmark wrote: »
    There wont be anything you can do to improve the deals if you're a new customer. Rententions only look to improve deals for existing customers

and they're not even doing that very well at the moment in my experience!
  • normanmark
    Options
    and they're not even doing that very well at the moment in my experience!

They do it excellently for me, they just reduced my bill by half for 3 months!
  • mrs_scrooge
    mrs_scrooge Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    normanmark wrote: »
    They do it excellently for me, they just reduced my bill by half for 3 months!

Ah, but don't you work in this industry (I see you are prolific on this board)? Maybe your knowledge makes you a better negotiator? This is all new ground for me. I thought everyone paid the advertised prices:rotfl:
  • normanmark
    Options
    Ah, but don't you work in this industry (I see you are prolific on this board)? Maybe your knowledge makes you a better negotiator? This is all new ground for me. I thought everyone paid the advertised prices:rotfl:

I'm out of contract with them (have been for about 2 years now). I just rang their retentions number & said 'whats the best deal you can give me' and thats what came up, dont need any more knowledge than some polite manners ;)
  • dynamiccoins
    dynamiccoins Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I know would be a bit of a pain to do, but I noticed that VM do a 30 day money back guarentee. What about getting the service, then after 29 days telling them you don;t want the service as its costing you too much and see if they try and keep you - i.e offer a reduction.
  • normanmark
    Options
    I know would be a bit of a pain to do, but I noticed that VM do a 30 day money back guarentee. What about getting the service, then after 29 days telling them you don;t want the service as its costing you too much and see if they try and keep you - i.e offer a reduction.

Seems a bit complicated tbh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport