PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Maintenance charges

Options
13»

Comments

• tim123456789
    tim123456789 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting to read the different accounts, ours is different again.
    Bought a FH new buld 7 months ago, paid a % of the maintenance charge on completion and have just received the new bill for 2013.
    The main charge (£78 per year per house) is for upkeep of a nature reserve area that the developers are supposed to be building. It won't be completed until at least October-December of this year but we are already being billed for it.

It also covers the annual audit for the management company .. I'm confused about this as why should we pay for their audit?

because the audit is for your benefit. they wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't a law insisting that they did

tim
  • jamesml
    jamesml Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    This is the case for us, and I was led to believe a fairly standard approach: A company is set up for each estate - so there will be a company called 'James's Estate Management Company Limited' which will record all the revenue from the residents in James' estate. This company will appoint an estate management company to actually do the work, which they will pay a fee to. This company will then provide the staff etc to get the actual work done. (In our case its Pentlands). You are paying for the audit of James' Estate Management Company Limited, not or Pentlands. James' estate management company limited only exists to receive the money from the houses/flats on your estate and is audited to provide comfort to the residents that don't have any active participation that the transactions/funds are reasonable, and that the directors are acting in a reasonable manner.

You should find that the directors of this management company are residents in your estate (our developer has put in their own staff until the development is finalised).

One point to note is that any funds received which aren't spent will be held within that company and effectively rolled over to future years.

Perhaps if you have some concern over this you should speak to the developer and find out if you can join the property group who run the estate's management company. That way you can have some involvement in the management of the company, and if needed can be involved in negotiating with Pentlands (or whoever it is in your case) or find an alternative to Pentlands if that is what is needed.

For us, the developer continues to meet the costs of maintaining the site until it is complete, at which point it is handed over to the estate management company and Pentlands.
  • sad_gills_fan
    sad_gills_fan Posts: 151 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2013 at 6:03PM
    Options
    because the audit is for your benefit. they wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't a law insisting that they did

tim
    I get that it's the law, the bit I don't get is that surely every company does it, but they don't charge their customers? Or does everyone else just hide the charges?!
    jamesml wrote: »
    This is the case for us, and I was led to believe a fairly standard approach: A company is set up for each estate - so there will be a company called 'James's Estate Management Company Limited' which will record all the revenue from the residents in James' estate. This company will appoint an estate management company to actually do the work, which they will pay a fee to. This company will then provide the staff etc to get the actual work done. (In our case its Pentlands). You are paying for the audit of James' Estate Management Company Limited, not or Pentlands. James' estate management company limited only exists to receive the money from the houses/flats on your estate and is audited to provide comfort to the residents that don't have any active participation that the transactions/funds are reasonable, and that the directors are acting in a reasonable manner.

You should find that the directors of this management company are residents in your estate (our developer has put in their own staff until the development is finalised).

One point to note is that any funds received which aren't spent will be held within that company and effectively rolled over to future years.

Perhaps if you have some concern over this you should speak to the developer and find out if you can join the property group who run the estate's management company. That way you can have some involvement in the management of the company, and if needed can be involved in negotiating with Pentlands (or whoever it is in your case) or find an alternative to Pentlands if that is what is needed.

For us, the developer continues to meet the costs of maintaining the site until it is complete, at which point it is handed over to the estate management company and Pentlands.

Our developer (Wards) don't maintain anything that the estate management company (GEM)are quoting for as far I know. GEM have been taking money off people since we moved in (for us, that was Nov 12), but we are paying for things that aren't actually there ... the nature reserve for one.

None of the staff live here, in fact, they are registered in Herts and we're in Kent!

I guess we just don't want to pay for something that is not there .. it's the bulk of the payment (£121 out of £178).
    I'd happily sit on a voluntary board for the estate management so I'll look into that .. thank you.

Any other ideas from people are more than welcome. :)
    Ken Livingstone is my mother
  • tim123456789
    tim123456789 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get that it's the law, the bit I don't get is that surely every company does it, but they don't charge their customers? Or does everyone else just hide the charges?!

It's not an audit of the whole company's business.

it's an audit of only the work that they do for your estate.

As most estates are small (less than 100 properties, possibly less than 10) but audit fees are (more or less) the same fixed fee. So it's not realistic to amortize the fee into their standard charge as the individual liability for the audit charge depends upon the size of the estate (and is a material amount).

Tesco (or whoever) have so many customers that their audit fee per customer disappears into the noise.
  • embob74
    embob74 Posts: 724 Forumite
    Options
    I lived in a FH house on a new-ish estate and we had to pay a service charge of about £7 per week. This covered the cost of lighting and gardening services and admin fees and management fees.
    In the 8 years I was there the cost didn't rise by more than a few pennies and the estate always looked great.
    The road was adopted by the local council or that might have seen a rise in subsequent years. Once all properties had been sold the residents set up a management company and dealt with everything - this was all detailed in the terms when buying the property.
    Ask the develop what it involves ..... but perhaps get answers in writing!!
  • jamesml
    jamesml Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options

No, as far as I am aware, this is not the audit of GEM you are paying for, its the audit of the company set up to manage your estate. As I said, in our case there are 2 companies in existence - the estate company (James' estate management company limited) and Pentlands. This fee is for the audit of James' estate management company limited. This is a separate limited company to Pentlands.
    Our developer (Wards) don't maintain anything that the estate management company (GEM)are quoting for as far I know. GEM have been taking money off people since we moved in (for us, that was Nov 12), but we are paying for things that aren't actually there ... the nature reserve for one.

None of the staff live here, in fact, they are registered in Herts and we're in Kent!

I guess we just don't want to pay for something that is not there .. it's the bulk of the payment (£121 out of £178).
    I'd happily sit on a voluntary board for the estate management so I'll look into that .. thank you.

Any other ideas from people are more than welcome. :)

Doesn't matter that the developers staff don't live there, I would expect sales director or someone would be put in a director until the residents take over.

Again, in our case the money is charged immediately but is retained in the business until such time as it is utilised - if they end up overcharging they will reduce future bills. This is why there are 2 separate companies and they are both audited, so that this can be kept track of. As a resident I will be receiving a copy of the accounts of James' estate management company, and I will be able to see the expenditure and the income and whats left over (or if there is a shortfall).

I would really suggest you go and speak to your developer about this. The sales staff should have fully briefed you on this so that you understood it, and if they haven't then go back and get them to explain it again to make sure you do understand. Pentlands have also written to me to detail this as well.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    I like places like that, they attract the kind of people who want things to look nice and want to look after their property and the surrounding area.
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Missme
    Missme Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Freehold or leasehold, if you are on an 'estate' there are likely to be service/maintenance charges.

If there is anything remotely communal ( that solitary tree/bush in an oasis of concrete and tarmac) there are likely to be sevice charges.

Leaseholders will have recourse to the LVT or First Tier tribunal now and freholders, as before, can wait to defend the civil action to recover charges outlined in the transfer docs.
  • Tancred
    Tancred Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2013 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Missme wrote: »
    Freehold or leasehold, if you are on an 'estate' there are likely to be service/maintenance charges.

If there is anything remotely communal ( that solitary tree/bush in an oasis of concrete and tarmac) there are likely to be sevice charges.

Leaseholders will have recourse to the LVT or First Tier tribunal now and freholders, as before, can wait to defend the civil action to recover charges outlined in the transfer docs.

There are plenty of estates where there are no management charges. Normally these charges tend to exist on 'fussy' estates where the developers have either been asked (by the previous landlord for example) or have decided themselves to impose such charges in order to ensure that grass gets cut promptly etc.

I don't object to paying around £100 a year, but any more than that is excessive.

Councils seem more and more to abstain from taking responsibility for these things, while still charging high council tax! :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport