Smart TV's & broadband

Just gathering info right now.

As some may have read elsewhere on the board - we're looking to move house & when we do i'll be looking at getting a Smart TV.

Depending on where we go, we may or may not be able to have a Sky Unlimited package. If we go for one of our favoured houses, then we certainly wont be & we'll be on an 8mb/s deal.

Just wondering if these TVs are any good on an 8mb/s deal or whether they really need something faster? (note: i said NEED something faster, as everything would be better from having the extra speed availability).

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Nine_Lives wrote: »
    Just wondering if these TVs are any good on an 8mb/s deal or whether they really need something faster? (note: i said NEED something faster, as everything would be better from having the extra speed availability).
    Streaming sites like BBC iPlayer will inevitably suffer from a slow broadband. Using a SMART TV as an internet browser is a pain at the best of times (no keyboard) and,again, it won't be helped by slow internet.
  • BazzaDP
    BazzaDP Posts: 48 Forumite
    Most streaming services (Lovefilm, Netflix, iPlayer) recommend 2mbps minimum. I'd say it works on that but 5Mbps is better. 8 should be more than sufficient for all but the most hi def videos.

So anything faster is usually only useful when downloading large files (e.g. To watch later) rather than for streaming - which most Smart TVs are more useful for.

Of course the need for speed will increase as more hi def content comes available, followed by 4k and then 8k. But at the same time broadband speeds will also increase.

So all in all I'd say you'll be fine.

The bigger issue is making sure you have a large (or unlimited) download capacity as video uses a lot of capacity. Which is more about amount you download per month rather rather than how fast you download. Your original post reads to me like you are confusing those two concepts.
  • [Deleted User]
    BazzaDP wrote: »
    Of course the need for speed will increase as more hi def content comes available,
    I won't watch anything not in high definition...:p
  • BazzaDP
    BazzaDP Posts: 48 Forumite
    I won't watch anything not in high definition...:p

You definition snob ;-) Unfortunately not everything is available in HD.
  • [Deleted User]
    BazzaDP wrote: »
    You definition snob ;-) Unfortunately not everything is available in HD.
    Well, I just don't watch then!
    To be honest, with the plethora of Blu-Rays and HD channels now available, I don't ever feel I'm missing out.

(I do occasionally watch some "upscaled" material on HD channels)
  • Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Ah if it's just like Netflix then then i get on ok with that on the PC. I've viewed a few films on Netflix through my PC & they 9/10 streamed fine.

I just find Netflix doesn't update very often with much worth watching (personal opinion) but that's a different issue.

As for the unlimited downloads thing - i've posted a thread about ISPs & broadband in the internet access forum as i'm considering switching from Zen due totally to the price i pay per month.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 June 2013 at 6:56AM
    Nine_Lives -just remember if you are on ADSL Max then its up to 8Mbps - you might find that you are stuck on 1-2Mbps -wouldn't buy the smart TV til you are connected and have ascertained the best possible speed!!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Moneyinep, just found your HD theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddd_aiCAiHo
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • [Deleted User]
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Hi Moneyinep, just found your HD theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddd_aiCAiHo
    Unfortunately, I can't view that due to it not being in High Definition.:p
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mmnn, I think the phrase I'm looking for rhymes with clucking bell.:D
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure