God/Sim Games - any good ones out there?

Ever since I was a kid, I loved playing God/Sim/Tycoon games, things like Theme Park or Theme Hospital, Black and White, The Settlers etc.

Basically I love games where you get to micromanage a world, choose where to build things, make your people happy and so on, but it seems there are less of this type being made these days, and the ones that are tend to be The Sims type, where you build a world around a character rather than build a world for everyone.

Anyone else like this style of game? and if you do, post the name of some you think I should play :D

Comments

• Kildare
    Kildare Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to love these games, but its been a long time since a really good one came out - I used to love Age of Empires and Theme Hospital was excellent.

I did try the new Sim City but its so buggy, plus it has the always online issue and if your PC isn't at the top level of spec it crashes once your city reaches a certain size (or you have to lower the graphics to the point that it looks naff).

The search goes on for a new good offline sim...
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Civilization perhaps?
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • i love these type of games. A favorite was always RCT and Theme Park. Never tried Civilization so might give that a whirl.
    No One I Think Is In My Tree.:cool:
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    The best one for me is still SimCity 4, especially when you've visited the various modding communities at Simtropolis or SC4Devotion and customised the bejeezus out of the game with traffic management mods and thousands of new buildings and scenery options. Just a shame that even with various fixes the game is prone to CTD's on a multicore system.

There's CitiesXL but that has mixed reviews. I picked up the original one but never got into it and haven't bothered with any of the sequels.
  • RazWaz
    RazWaz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tropez wrote: »
    The best one for me is still SimCity 4, especially when you've visited the various modding communities at Simtropolis or SC4Devotion and customised the bejeezus out of the game with traffic management mods and thousands of new buildings and scenery options. Just a shame that even with various fixes the game is prone to CTD's on a multicore system.

There's CitiesXL but that has mixed reviews. I picked up the original one but never got into it and haven't bothered with any of the sequels.

Sim City is more of a sandbox game than a God game. God games tend to have goals and storylines that you unravel as you expand your world.
  • RazWaz
    i love these type of games. A favorite was always RCT and Theme Park. Never tried Civilization so might give that a whirl.

RCT is one of the best series I've played in my life. I've probably played a good 300 hours across the games. Although I love RCT1, 2 is my favourite for the extra maps you can download and build yourself - so you can never really complete it.
  • Tropez
    RazWaz wrote: »
    Sim City is more of a sandbox game than a God game. God games tend to have goals and storylines that you unravel as you expand your world.

As you phrased it as "God/Sim" in your OP I made the assumption that simulation games were also included.
  • RazWaz
    As you phrased it as "God/Sim" in your OP I made the assumption that simulation games were also included.

God Sim is a type it's-self, or at least that's how me and my friends have always referred to it. SimCity is a Sandbox Sim.

Kind of like how you can have an MMORPG, but not all RPG's are MMOs and not all MMOs are RPGs.

It's probably a good suggestion for other people who are interested but it's not quite what I'm looking for myself :)
  • Tropez
    RazWaz wrote: »
    God Sim is a type it's-self, or at least that's how me and my friends have always referred to it. SimCity is a Sandbox Sim.

Kind of like how you can have an MMORPG, but not all RPG's are MMOs and not all MMOs are RPGs.

It's probably a good suggestion for other people who are interested but it's not quite what I'm looking for myself :)

What I meant is the forward slash that you used is generally used as a substitute for the word "or" in written English hence your query appeared to me to be God or Sim games. :)
  • RazWaz
    What I meant is the forward slash that you used is generally used as a substitute for the word "or" in written English hence your query appeared to me to be God or Sim games. :)

My mistake :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport